Calculating electric charge from graph (capacitor)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the amount of electronic charge on a capacitor by integrating the functions from 0 to the time when it is fully charged. The initial voltage is given as 10 V and the capacity and resistance are 2*10^(-6) F and 1*10^6 Ω respectively. There is confusion about whether the capacitor is being charged or discharged.
krisu334
Homework Statement
When charging a capacitor we obtained a graph of voltage in terms of time. From the graph, find the amount of electronic charge on the capacitor.
Relevant Equations
Initial voltage: 10 V
Capacity: 2*10^(-6) Fahr.
Resistance: 1*10^6 Ohm
Apparently, we need to integrate the functions from 0 to the time when it is fully charged. However, I integrated in terms of t so the soultion (according to a graph programme) should be around 236 Vs but I don’t see how this could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @krisu334 ,
:welcome: ##\ ##!​
What is the expected relationship between ##V## and ##t##?

krisu334 said:
Homework Statement: When charging a capacitor we obtained a graph of voltage in terms of time. From the graph, find the amount of electronic charge on the capacitor.
Relevant Equations: Initial voltage: 10 V
Capacity: 2*10^(-6) Fahr.
Resistance: 1*10^6 Ohm

Apparently, we need to integrate the functions from 0 to the time when it is fully charged. However, I integrated in terms of t so the soultion (according to a graph programme) should be around 236 Vs but I don’t see how this could help me.
Hi @krisu334. In addition to @BvU ’s question:

Presumably V is the voltage across the capacitor. Are you charging or discharging? You say “Initial voltage: 10 V” which implies you are discharging. But you also say “from 0 to the time when it is fully charged” which implies charging.

Minor points, for information:
The unit of capacitance (not “capacity”) is the ‘farad’ (lower case), symbol ‘F’.
The unit of resistance is the ‘ohm’ (lower case), symbol ‘Ω’.

Well, what is the status?

Related to Calculating electric charge from graph (capacitor)

What is the basic principle behind calculating electric charge from a graph for a capacitor?

The basic principle involves using the relationship between the voltage (V) across the capacitor and the charge (Q) stored in it. This relationship is given by the equation Q = C * V, where C is the capacitance. By analyzing a graph of voltage versus time or current versus time, one can determine the charge by integrating the area under the curve or by using the slope, depending on the type of graph.

How do you calculate the charge stored in a capacitor using a voltage-time graph?

To calculate the charge stored in a capacitor using a voltage-time graph, you need to know the capacitance (C) of the capacitor. The charge (Q) at any point in time can be calculated using Q = C * V, where V is the voltage at that time. If the graph shows a linear relationship, the area under the curve can also be used to find the total charge.

What method is used to find the charge from a current-time graph?

When using a current-time graph, the charge (Q) can be found by integrating the current (I) over time (t). This is because current is the rate of change of charge, given by I = dQ/dt. Therefore, the total charge can be calculated by finding the area under the current-time curve, which corresponds to the integral of the current over the given time period.

Can you explain how to use the area under a curve to determine the charge in a capacitor?

To use the area under a curve to determine the charge in a capacitor, you need to identify the type of graph you are dealing with. For a voltage-time graph, the area under the curve does not directly give you the charge. Instead, you use Q = C * V. For a current-time graph, the area under the curve represents the total charge, as charge is the integral of current over time. Summing the area under the current-time curve will give you the total charge stored in the capacitor.

What tools or techniques can be used to accurately integrate the area under a curve on a graph?

Several tools and techniques can be used to accurately integrate the area under a curve on a graph. These include numerical methods like the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, which approximate the area by dividing the curve into small segments. Software tools such as MATLAB, Python (with libraries like NumPy and SciPy), and graphing calculators can also be used to perform these integrations more precisely. Additionally, for simple shapes, geometric methods can be applied to calculate the area directly.