Calculating electric field given velocity and magnetic field

In summary, an electron is moving at a speed of 93 m/s through uniform electric and magnetic fields. The magnetic field has a magnitude of 4.00 T and is directed into the page. Using the formula v=E/B, the electric field in the i and k directions is 0. However, for the j direction, the correct answer is -372. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the electric force, which must be opposite to the magnetic force to cancel it out.
RKOwens4

Homework Statement

In the figure below, an electron moves at speed v = 93 m/s along an x-axis through uniform electric and magnetic fields. The magnetic field B is directed into the page and has magnitude 4.00 T. In unit vector notation, what is the electric field?

Figure: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/webassign2.jpg/

Homework Equations

v=E/B

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is 0 for the i and k direction. I thought for the j direction, I just had to use the formula v=E/B, which would give me 372. But that's incorrect. I don't know what else to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried -372 ?

That did it! Thanks.

RKOwens4 said:
That did it! Thanks.

Good. Usually when they don't specify a direction for the z-axis, you will need to try both + and - signs.

Note that getting the sign right isn't a matter of guessing. From the right-hand rule, you should be able to see that the magnetic force will point in the +y direction. To cancel it, the electric force must point in the -y direction.

Related to Calculating electric field given velocity and magnetic field

What is the equation for calculating electric field given velocity and magnetic field?

The equation for calculating electric field (E) given velocity (v) and magnetic field (B) is E = v x B, where x represents the vector cross product.

What are the units for electric field, velocity, and magnetic field?

The units for electric field are volts per meter (V/m), the units for velocity are meters per second (m/s), and the units for magnetic field are tesla (T) or gauss (G).

How does changing the velocity or magnetic field affect the electric field?

Changing the velocity or magnetic field can change the direction and magnitude of the electric field. Increasing the velocity or magnetic field will increase the electric field, while decreasing either will decrease the electric field.

Can the electric field be calculated if the velocity and magnetic field are not perpendicular?

Yes, the electric field can still be calculated using the same equation (E = v x B) even if the velocity and magnetic field are not perpendicular. However, the resulting electric field may have a different direction and magnitude compared to when they are perpendicular.

What are some real-world applications of calculating electric field given velocity and magnetic field?

Some real-world applications include particle accelerators, electromagnetic propulsion systems, and magnetic levitation trains. These technologies utilize the principles of electric and magnetic fields to achieve their intended purposes.