Calculating Electric Field Using Coulomb's Law

In summary: Pythagorean theorem and realized that it was unnecessary because they don't have an x component. They then used "by parts" and realized that charges 1 and 2 resultant y component is the same as 3 and 4 so they just have to do one calculation and multiply by 2.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

electri field.PNG

Homework Equations

Ex=1/k*1/(a^2/2)*1/(sqrt2)*cos(theta)*(sum of charges)
Ey=1/k*1/(a^2/2)*1/(sqrt2)*sin(theta)*(sum of charges)

The Attempt at a Solution

So first off I can see that I don't need to calculate the force in the x direction as each q cancels out when arranged appropriately
For Ey I get:
Ey=1/k*1/(.067^2*2)*1/sqrt2*sin(45degrees)*(-6.31nC+18.6nC+18.6nC-6.31nC)*10^-9
=1.523E-16 N/C

Use Pythagorean theorem but that is unnecessary do to an absence of an x component

Physics news on Phys.org
just go "by parts" try finding y comp of charge 1 and 4 then 2 and 3 and just add them up. or realize that charges 1 and 2 resultant y component is the same as 3 and 4 so you just have to do one calculation and multiply by 2

I did as you said using parts and still came up with the same answer of 1.523E-16 N/C.
1/k*1/(0.67^2*2)*1/sprt2*sin(45deg)*(-631nC+18.6nC)*10^-9
=7.61E-17
=1.523E-16

Jrlinton said:
I did as you said using parts and still came up with the same answer of 1.523E-16 N/C.
1/k*1/(0.67^2*2)*1/sprt2*sin(45deg)*(-631nC+18.6nC)*10^-9
=7.61E-17
=1.523E-16
that doesn't seem right... what are you using to calculate the field? E=F/qtest this q is normally a test charge (1C) and F = kQ*qtest/r2 so the test charge cancels out which makes sense since you want the field created by the source charge.
so Fx=Fcos(theta)
ps: r is the distance between the charge and the point where you are evaluating the field
ps2: yeah it doesn't seem to be a unit problem, i don't know where you got the 1/k or the sqrt2

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefor.html#c1
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefie.html
maybe those will help clearing things up

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Electric Field Using Coulomb's Law

1. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate electric field using Coulomb's law?

To calculate the electric field between two charged particles using Coulomb's law, you first need to determine the magnitude of the force between the two particles. Then, you can use the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle experiencing the electric field.

3. What units are used to measure electric field?

Electric field is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In the CGS system, the unit of electric field is dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

4. Is electric field a vector or a scalar quantity?

Electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force experienced by a positive test charge placed in the field.

5. Can Coulomb's law be used for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used to calculate the electric field for any type of charge distribution, as long as the charges are point charges. For more complex charge distributions, you can use the principle of superposition to calculate the electric field by breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts.