Calculating Electric Force in Bohr Model of Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric force between a proton and an electron in the n = 1 state of a hydrogen atom. The correct equation to use is F= kq1q2/r^2 and the value for r should be the Bohr's radius. This is different from the energy calculation previously attempted.
JDiorio

Homework Statement

In the Bohr model of a hydrogen atom, what is the magnitude of the electric force exerted between the proton and the electron when the electron is in the n = 1 state?

Homework Equations

E= - 13.6 eV/ n^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply plugged in the value for n and got an answer of -13.6 eV. I do not understand why this is incorrect. This is an online homework assignment and asks for the answer in N. Is this where I am making my mistake? Or am I using the wrong formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated an energy. The problem asks for a force. Force and energy are different.

What equation have you been given that can be used to calculate the force between two charges?

ohh.. so i just use F= kq1q2/r^2

and since it is in the n=1 state, i would use Bohr's radius for r... correct?

Thank you!..

Related to Calculating Electric Force in Bohr Model of Hydrogen Atom

1. How do you calculate the electric force in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom?

In the Bohr model of hydrogen atom, the electric force can be calculated using the formula F = (ke * q1 * q2)/r^2, where ke is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the value of the Coulomb's constant in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom?

The value of the Coulomb's constant in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom is 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2.

3. Can the electric force be repulsive in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom?

Yes, the electric force can be repulsive in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom if the charges of the two particles have the same sign.

4. How does the electric force change with distance in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom?

The electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two particles. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. How does increasing the charge of one particle affect the electric force in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom?

Increasing the charge of one particle will result in an increase in the electric force between the two particles in the Bohr model of hydrogen atom. This is because the electric force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges (q1 and q2) in the formula F = (ke * q1 * q2)/r^2.