Calculating Electric Force: Neutral Sphere A & Charged Sphere B

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate electric forces when objects are hanging from an insulated wire, specifically using the example of two metal spheres with different charges. The initial charge on one of the spheres is needed, and the conversation also mentions the use of formulas for calculating electric forces.
Cory
How do I calculate Electric forces when objects are dangling from insulated wire. For example
Neutral metal sphere A, of mass 0.10kg hangs from an insulating wire 2.0m long. An identical metal sphere B, with charge -q, is brough into contact with the sphere A. The spheres repel and stelle down as shown in the following figure

.\ <) = 12
...\
...\
...\
(B)...(A)
* <) AB(top) = 90 degrees.
Calculate the initial charge on B.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember these formulas if you could give me some formulas for electric forces I'd help you out!

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong section, it is now in the right section with the formula.

Related to Calculating Electric Force: Neutral Sphere A & Charged Sphere B

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields, which are created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for electric force is F = (k * q1 * q2) / r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is a neutral sphere?

A neutral sphere is an object that has an equal number of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net charge of zero. This means that a neutral sphere will not experience any electric force when placed near other charged objects.

4. What is a charged sphere?

A charged sphere is an object that has an excess of either positive or negative charges, resulting in a net charge that is not zero. This means that a charged sphere will experience electric force when placed near other charged objects.

5. How does the charge of a sphere affect the electric force?

The charge of a sphere directly affects the magnitude of the electric force it experiences. The greater the charge of the sphere, the stronger the electric force will be. Additionally, objects with opposite charges will experience an attractive force, while objects with the same charge will experience a repulsive force.

Back