Calculating Electric Forces and Acceleration in a Charged System

In summary, the problem involves an alpha particle placed between two stationary, charged objects. One object has a charge of +1.0 X 10-12 C, while the other has a charge of -2.0 X 10-12 C. The problem asks for the magnitude and direction of the electrical force acting on the alpha particle, as well as the rate and direction of its acceleration. To solve this, the equation F=kq1q2/r^2 is used, where q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects and r is the distance between them. The charge of the alpha particle is not given, so it is assumed to be 2+ (since it is composed of
Coco12

Homework Statement

5. An alpha particle ( 2 protons and 2 neutrons) is placed between two stationary, charged objects. It is 0.0030 m to the right of the object carrying a +1.0 X 10-12 C charge, and 0.0020 m to the left of the object carrying a -2.0 X 10-12 C charge. Draw a picture and determine:

a) the magnitude and direction of the electrical force acting on the alpha particle.

b) the rate and direction of the acceleration of the alpha particle.

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand I have the charge of the objects on both ends but I don't have the charge of the particle in the middle so how am I going to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Coco12. Do protons carry an electric charge?

Yes positive

Is it 2+

Do I just do 9*10^9(1*10^-19)(2)/ .0030^2

And then the same for the other object ?

Nvm I got it!

Have to use charge of electrons

FAQ: Calculating Electric Forces and Acceleration in a Charged System

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds a charged particle or object. It is responsible for the force that acts on other charged particles or objects within its vicinity.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

An electric field is calculated by dividing the force acting on a charged particle by the charge of that particle. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric fields?

The unit of measurement for electric fields is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This measures the force per unit charge exerted by the electric field.

4. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including in electronics, power transmission, and medical imaging. They are also used in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control and in particle accelerators for scientific research.

Back