Calculating Electric Potential in a Series of Capacitors

In summary: I am not saying the way I do it is the only way. But I am saying that if you are going to use the absolute value of the charge, you need to have some method for determining the sign. If I am wrong, tell me how you do that and I'll try to figure out how it works.But the main thing is, you've got the right answer to this problem. :)In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three capacitors of different values and positions, with given voltage values for two of the capacitors. The goal is to find the electric potential of the third capacitor's electrode. Using the
Kernul

Homework Statement

Three capacitors ##C_a = C, C_b = 2C, C_c = 3C## are positioned like in the figure. The A capacitor's electrode has a ##V_a = 20 V##, while the B capacitor's electrode has a ##V_b = 80 V##. What is the electric potential ##V_3## of the C capacitor's electrode?

Homework Equations

##Q = C \Delta V##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since ##Q = C \Delta V = C (V_1 - V_2)## we can write the electric charge for all three the capacitors.
##Q_a = C_a (V_a - V_c) = C (20 - V_c)##
##Q_b = C_b (V_b - V_c) = 2C (80 - V_c)##
##Q_c = C_c (V_c - 0) = 3C V_c##
Knowing from the picture that A and B are parallel we have a total electric charge as:
##Q = Q_a + Q_b = C (20 - V_c) + 2C (80 - V_c) = C (180 - 2V_c)##
What we end up with is a series so the total electric charge doesn't change. This means that:
##Q = Q_c##
so
##C (180 - 2V_c) = 3C V_c##
##V_c = 36 V##

Is this correct? Or did I mess up something/my method wasn't correct?

Attachments

• Circuit.png
    Circuit.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Capacitors A and B cannot be in parallel since they apparently have different potentials across them.

Try re-drawing the circuit, inserting voltage sources to provide the potentials at A and B. Then assume that each source has provided some amount of charge:
upload_2016-2-29_13-56-44.png

Given the assumed directions of charge flow, what can you say about the relationship between the Q's (hint: KCL works for the total charge that moves through a given node).

Likes Potatochip911
I think it is wrong actually. I think it is an easy mistake to make. But it is also easy to check. You can do this by calculating the charge on each capacitor which you do not report. Then look at the charges on the 'internal' plates of the T. With your Vc = 36, do they add up to 0? I don't think so.

So the lesson is in most questions it is easier to check a result than to get it in the first place (so students make undue numbers of mistakes by not doing the easy part after they have done the hard part). I get Vc = 30, and as far as I can see the charges add up the right way.

I think the cause of the mistake is a sign mistake in one of the terms. I have only ever done calculations of this kind since a week or two ago, but I find the most convenient is to take the junction of the T as reference point, calculate all voltage differences from that junction, and calculate charges on the plates letting the algebra take care of the signs of charges, and require they add up algebraically to 0. This was illustrated here #8 where a T (aka Y) is part of a more complicated circuitand, and a bit here #9.

Oh! I got it. I found 30 V too now doing like this:
##-Q_a - Q_b + Q_c = 0##
##-C_a(V_a - V_c) - C_b(V_b - V_c) + C_c(V_c - 0) = 0##
##-C(20 - V_c) - 2C(80 - V_c) + 3C V_c = 0##
##-20 C + V_c C - 160 C + 2 V_c C + 3C V_c = 0##
##(1 + 2 + 3) V_c C = 180 C##
##V_c = 30 V##
Thank you!

Good if that's right - but watch out. I don't know exactly what you've done, maybe you have abbreviated some steps. But it looks like you are still taking the charges is absolute magnitude is, and then deciding what signs later. It seems to me that doing this will get it wrong half the time. Because I think half the time you'll know the signs of two charges, but if they are opposite it will not be that obvious what the sign of the third is. Okay we could work out a rule for that maybe, but I've found it easier to start with one junction point, use the voltage changes from there without committing to any sign, and let the algebra find it for you.

Anyway remember to do that check calculation at the end. :oldsmile:

epenguin said:
Good if that's right - but watch out. I don't know exactly what you've done, maybe you have abbreviated some steps. But it looks like you are still taking the charges is absolute magnitude is, and then deciding what signs later. It seems to me that doing this will get it wrong half the time. Because I think half the time you'll know the signs of two charges, but if they are opposite it will not be that obvious what the sign of the third is. Okay we could work out a rule for that maybe, but I've found it easier to start with one junction point, use the voltage changes from there without committing to any sign, and let the algebra find it for you.

Anyway remember to do that check calculation at the end. :oldsmile:
Wow! I didn't receive any notification of this reply! I'm so sorry!
Anyway, using the voltage changes isn't what I have done? I simply used the equation ##Q = C \Delta V## so there are the voltage changes(differences). They have signs because of the way the current goes. (negative when entering and positive when exiting)

Well what I say is that came right because you got the signs right this time. Previously it didn't because you didn't. I also calculating this problem got them right once, then wrong, then right. It is easy to get the sign wrong. I had some difficulty deciding what the sign of being charge on the third capacitor was, I think it will be easy for you to get the same wrong again if you do similar calculation in six months or 18 months time. You could also have difficulty in a more complicated circuit of capacitors and other elements, perhaps in time-varying problems.

So I decided it was easier for me at least to not have to think out what what sign the charge was but let it be an algebraic quantity and then I could always write
Q1 + Q2 + Q3 = 0
and take all potentials relative to one point, the junction point. Then the algebra takes care of the signs in the calculation. I think this more rigid or algorithmic approach would suit most students as well as anyone else.

However do it your way if you find it preferable - a more important lesson than any of this was to do the check calculation when you have the result, i.e. not retracing your derivation but seeing whether the result works, is really a solution. This extra 10% of work will reduce the error rate of your results, which might often be much or all you are valued on, drastically.

Likes Kernul
Oh! Now I got what you meant with "let the algebra take care of the signs". Okay, I'll take your advice and calculate like you did. (##Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3 = 0##) And obviously check at the end.
Thanks!

Related to Calculating Electric Potential in a Series of Capacitors

1. How does exercise with capacitors work?

Exercise with capacitors involves storing electrical energy in the capacitor through the process of charging and discharging. As you exercise, the capacitor is charged by your movements and then discharged, providing bursts of energy to power your workout equipment.

2. What types of exercises can be done with capacitors?

Capacitors can be used in a variety of exercises, such as stationary biking, rowing, and weightlifting. They can also be incorporated into high-intensity interval training or circuit training routines.

3. What are the benefits of using capacitors in exercise?

Using capacitors in exercise can improve the efficiency and intensity of your workout. They can also help reduce the strain on your body, as the energy from the capacitor can assist in powering the equipment, making it easier for you to perform the exercises.

4. How does exercise with capacitors compare to traditional exercise methods?

Exercise with capacitors can provide a more dynamic and challenging workout compared to traditional methods. The bursts of energy from the capacitor can add a new level of intensity to your routine, helping you achieve your fitness goals faster.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using capacitors in exercise?

While exercise with capacitors is generally safe, it is important to follow proper usage and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. It is also recommended to consult with a fitness professional before incorporating capacitors into your exercise routine to ensure proper form and technique.