Calculating Electrical Energy Input for 70% Efficient Lift Motor

In summary, the lift motor, which is 70% efficient, performs 450,000J of work to lift a load to the top floor of a building. To calculate the required electrical energy input, you can use the formula E * 70% = 450,000 J, where E represents the unknown energy input. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for E. It is important to note that due to the 70% efficiency, more energy is required compared to a 100% efficient motor.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

A lift motor is 70% efficient. It dose 450 000j of work lifting a load to the top floor of a building.

Homework Equations

What electrical energy input is required to do this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I first did output/input * 100 I transposed the formulae

so I did 450 000* 0.7

which gave the wrong answer. When I looked at the answer is say this is the correct way is 450 000 * 100/70

Am I right in saying that when you do it this you are calculating what it is at 100% efficiency and then calculating the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
70% of the energy input is 450000J, so 1% is 450000/70 = 6429J
So 100% of the input energy is 100 x 6429 = 642900J
You had it 'upside down'...do you see

Last edited:
Write it out as an equation. Of the total electrical energy consumed, 70% of it went into lifting the weight.

E * 70% = 450,000 J

Where E is the unknown energy input.

How do you solve for E?

E = ?
just rearrange your equation...you have it !

Realize that if it is only 70% efficiency, more work is actually required than if it was 100% efficient.

Just to say thanks for everyone clearing it up for me big help.

Related to Calculating Electrical Energy Input for 70% Efficient Lift Motor

1. What is motor efficiency?

Motor efficiency is a measure of how well a motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient motor.

2. How is motor efficiency calculated?

Motor efficiency is calculated by dividing the output power (mechanical energy) by the input power (electrical energy) and multiplying by 100. This can be represented by the formula: efficiency = (output power / input power) x 100%.

3. Why is motor efficiency important?

Motor efficiency is important because it directly affects the operating costs of a motor. A more efficient motor will require less energy and therefore result in lower electricity bills. Additionally, efficient motors have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance, leading to cost savings in the long run.

4. What factors affect motor efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect motor efficiency, including the design of the motor, the materials used, and the operating conditions. Motors with advanced designs and high-quality materials tend to have higher efficiency levels. Overloading a motor, running it at a higher voltage than specified, or operating it in extreme temperatures can also decrease efficiency.

5. How can motor efficiency be improved?

Motor efficiency can be improved by selecting a high-quality motor with an advanced design and by properly maintaining it. Regular maintenance, such as lubrication and cleaning, can help improve efficiency and extend the lifespan of the motor. It is also important to operate the motor at the recommended voltage and load to ensure optimal efficiency.