Calculating Empirical Formula for Dimethylhydrazine Rocket Fuel

• Thread starter Larrytsai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, a 2.859 g sample of dimethylhydrazine, a compound made of carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms, is burned in excess air and produces 4.190 g of carbon dioxide and 3.428 g of water. Using stoichiometry and basic algebra, the empirical formula of the compound can be calculated to be C0.0952H0.3804Nz (with z being a coefficient).
Larrytsai
Dimethylhydrazine, the fuel used in rocket propulsion systems, is made of carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms. A 2.859 g sample of this compound is burned in excess air, and produces 4.190 g of carbon dioxide and 3.428 g of water. What is the empirical formula? (molar masses: Co2= 44.01g/mol; H2O= 18.02g/mol)

I was wondering do I predict the reactants? and " the compound is burned" what is the compound? I am not use to this question because I am usually given the percents in the compound so i don't know how to start off this question...

K well igot a ratio of 2/1 for H2O and Co2 but i was wondering should i find the percent composition of C and H then add and subtract from 100? to get the percent of N and start the work from there? and to find the percent composition should i find it from CO2(H2O) or seperately?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for calculations about a compound which contains apparently only Carbon, Nitrogen, and Hydrogen. We don't know yet the ratios of each element per forumula unit of compound.

The resulting measured carbon dioxide gives you information about the Carbon quantitiy in hydrazine. The resulting measured water gives you information about the amount of Hydrogen in hydrazine.

That information is an approach to make. The rest is to write a reaction with some variables, and apply stoichiometry and basic algebra.

CxHyNz + O2 -------> xCO2 + (y/2)H2O + a nitrogen cmpd

so 1 mol of CxHyNz gives x mol of CO2.
n CO2 = 0.0952 mol

x = 0.0952

1 mol CxHyNz also gives (y/2) mol of H2O
n H2O = 0.1902 mol

y/2 = 0.1902 mol
y = 0.3804 mol

you have CxHyNz weighing 2.859g

you already have Ar C, H and N and x and y. you can find z

(12*0.0952) + (1*0.3804) + (14*z) = 2.859

with x, y and z you can calculate the empirical formula.

Related to Calculating Empirical Formula for Dimethylhydrazine Rocket Fuel

1. What is the purpose of calculating the empirical formula for dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel?

The empirical formula of a compound represents the simplest ratio of the elements present in the compound. In the case of dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel, knowing the empirical formula is important for understanding the chemical composition and properties of the fuel, which is crucial for the design and performance of rockets.

2. How is the empirical formula calculated for dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel?

The empirical formula is determined by analyzing the mass of each element present in the compound and converting it into moles. The ratio of the moles of each element is then simplified to the smallest whole numbers to obtain the empirical formula.

3. What are the elements present in dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel?

The elements present in dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel are carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen. The chemical formula for dimethylhydrazine is (CH3)2N2, which means that each molecule contains two carbon atoms, six hydrogen atoms, and two nitrogen atoms.

4. Can the empirical formula change under different conditions?

Yes, the empirical formula can change under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the presence of impurities. However, the ratio of the elements in the compound will remain the same, as it represents the basic chemical structure of the compound.

5. How is the empirical formula useful in the production of dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel?

The empirical formula is useful in the production of dimethylhydrazine rocket fuel as it provides important information about the chemical composition of the compound. This information is crucial for ensuring the quality and consistency of the fuel, which is essential for the safe and efficient operation of rockets.