Calculating Energy Released from Mass Defect in Units of Kg and MeV/C2

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of units for mass and energy calculations. The conversion factor for 1u is 931.5 MeV/c2 or 1.67 x 10^-27 kg. The issue arises when calculating the energy using both units, as they do not match. The person asking for help is unable to provide their calculations due to typing on a phone. They request help in finding the energy released from a mass defect of 1u using kg and MeV/c2 as the unit of mass. The problem is eventually solved.
Amine_prince
So 1u = 931.5Mev/c2 = 1.67 10_27 kg . the thing is when i calculate E=mC2 with both units the calculations don't match . i can't understand why .

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't help you to find your error, if you don't show your calculations.

Likes Amine_prince
kith said:
We can't help you to find your error, if you don't show your calculations.
Thank you for the attention sir . unfortunately i am using my phone to type so i cannot write all the calculation . can you please write the Energy released out of a mass defect of 1u by using Kg first then MeV /C2 as the unit of mass ? That can solve my problem

The problem is solved . thank you

Amine_prince said:
Thank you for the attention sir . unfortunately i am using my phone to type so i cannot write all the calculation . can you please write the Energy released out of a mass defect of 1u by using Kg first then MeV /C2 as the unit of mass ? That can solve my problem

Please note that this is usually not an acceptable excuse to not lay out the full and complete post. It is why the PF Rules also prohibit text-speak.

Zz.

Related to Calculating Energy Released from Mass Defect in Units of Kg and MeV/C2

1. What does "MeV/C2" stand for?

MeV/C2 stands for megaelectronvolt per square of the speed of light. It is a unit used in physics to measure the mass of subatomic particles and their energy.

2. How is "MeV/C2" different from other units of mass?

"MeV/C2" is different from other units of mass because it is a derived unit that takes into account both the energy and mass of a particle. It is commonly used in nuclear and particle physics, while units such as grams or kilograms are used for macroscopic objects.

3. Why is "MeV/C2" often used in discussions about particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, accelerate particles to very high speeds. At these speeds, the particles have a significant amount of kinetic energy, which is measured in MeV/C2. This unit allows scientists to easily compare the energy of different particles without having to convert between traditional mass units and energy units.

4. Is "MeV/C2" a standard unit in the scientific community?

Yes, "MeV/C2" is a standard unit in the scientific community, particularly in the fields of nuclear and particle physics. It is recognized by the International System of Units (SI) and is commonly used in scientific literature and research.

5. Can "MeV/C2" be converted to other units of mass?

Yes, "MeV/C2" can be converted to other units of mass, such as kilograms or grams. However, this conversion is not straightforward and requires knowing the speed of light and using the famous equation E=mc2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This conversion is often used to compare the mass of subatomic particles to more familiar objects, such as the mass of an elephant or a car.