Calculating Energy Requirements for HRSG in Hydrogen Power Plants

engali
Hi guys,

I’m a final-year student studying mechanical engineering. I’m doing my dissertation on hydrogen power plants.

I had a question….

How would I work out the energy needed to run a HRSG in my cycle.

I understand this depends on various parameters and needs testing and simulations but just needed a rough ball park.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What have you found so far in your reading? I did a Google search of your thread title and got lots of useful hits...

Likes russ_watters
engali said:
How would I work out the energy needed to run a HRSG in my cycle.
This question doesn't make a lot of sense as asked. The HRSG is recovering energy, it's not a device that needs a specific amount of power to run, you size it to recover as much energy as you economically can.

Did you take your university's Power Plant Design course? This question at this level is a little disconcerting...

Likes berkeman

Related to Calculating Energy Requirements for HRSG in Hydrogen Power Plants

What is an HRSG and why is it important in hydrogen power plants?

A Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) is a crucial component in hydrogen power plants that captures waste heat from the gas turbine exhaust and uses it to produce steam. This steam can then be used to generate additional electricity or for other industrial processes, thereby improving the overall efficiency and sustainability of the power plant.

How do you calculate the energy requirements for an HRSG in a hydrogen power plant?

The energy requirements for an HRSG are calculated by determining the amount of thermal energy available in the gas turbine exhaust and the efficiency of the HRSG in converting this thermal energy into steam. This involves measuring the exhaust gas flow rate, temperature, and specific heat capacity, and applying these values to the heat balance equations to find the energy that can be recovered.

What factors influence the efficiency of an HRSG in hydrogen power plants?

The efficiency of an HRSG is influenced by several factors, including the temperature and flow rate of the exhaust gases, the design and configuration of the HRSG (such as the number of pressure levels and heat exchanger surface area), and the thermodynamic properties of the working fluid (steam). Proper maintenance and operation also play a significant role in maintaining high efficiency.

How does the composition of exhaust gases from hydrogen combustion affect HRSG performance?

The combustion of hydrogen produces water vapor and a small amount of nitrogen oxides (NOx) as exhaust gases. The high water vapor content can enhance heat transfer in the HRSG, potentially improving its performance. However, the absence of CO2 and other combustion by-products typically found in fossil fuel combustion means the exhaust gas properties, such as specific heat capacity, will differ, which must be accounted for in the HRSG design and energy calculations.

What are the environmental benefits of using HRSGs in hydrogen power plants?

Using HRSGs in hydrogen power plants significantly enhances the overall efficiency of the power generation process by recovering waste heat and reducing fuel consumption. This leads to lower greenhouse gas emissions and reduced reliance on fossil fuels. Additionally, since hydrogen combustion primarily produces water vapor, the environmental impact is minimal compared to traditional fossil fuel power plants.