Calculating Energy Requirements for Solar-Powered Equipment Lift

In summary, the scientist needs to find a way to use the least amount of energy to lift the equipment to the top of the hill. He sets up a solar energy system with parabolic mirrors that collects sunlight and warms his working fluid to 120°C. The exhaust temperature is -20°C. The minimum amount of energy required to heat his working fluid and run his engine to lift the mass is 490500J. The most efficient engine possible is 35.58% efficient and would require more input energy to do the same amount of work.
goli12

Homework Statement

A scientist wants to life 1000kg equipment tot the top of the hill he is working on, a rise of 50 metres. He sets up a solar energy system with parabolic mirrors that collects sunlight and warms his working fluid to 120°C (the working fluid does not freeze and does not biol in the temperature range over which it is being used). The exhaust temperature is -20°C. What is the minimum amount of energy required to heat his working fluid and run his engine to lift the mass?

Homework Equations

E=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy required to lift mass=1000*50*9.81=490500J
W=Q(hot)-Q(cold)=E(required to lift mass)+E(required to warm working fluid to 120°C)

Physics news on Phys.org
So far so good - can you describe where you get stuck and how you are thinking about the problem?
The usual approach would be to sketch a heat-flow diagram and relate the heats to the question.

Hi Simon

I'm not sure how to calculate the required energy to warm the working fluid as neither mass or the specific heat capacity. I'm assuming that heat from the working fluid @ 120°C would be the source of energy [Q(hot)] for the engine to use as work and the rest is expelled to the cold reservoir @ -20°C. But then this raises another question, how do i go about calculating the energy flowing to the engine, and how much is going to the cold reservoir? Thinking about it now, Efficiency=1-T(cold)-T(hot)=1-Q(cold)/Q(hot) seems like an important equation that i need to implement. Am I going in the right direction?

You don't need that - you just need to sketch the diagram, label the heat reservoirs, and work out how much heat has to go in the flow arrows at each stage.

So the hot reservoir provides ##Q_{in}##. ##Q_{out}## goes to the cold reservoir, while W goes to work.
You need the minimum ##Q_{in}##.

Hint:
The amount of energy required to do a particular amount of work depends on the efficiency.
What is the most efficient engine you can possibly get?

eZky3Ge.png

Since efficiency is 1-T(cold)/T(hot), the most efficient engine i could get in this system would be:

Eff= 1-(253.25K/393.15K) = 0.3558.

So only 35.58% of Q(hot) would be converted to work, while the rest goes to Q(cold)

Since efficiency is 1-T(cold)/T(hot)
For a Carnot Engine - yes.
All other engines are less efficient - so they'd need more input energy to get the same work done.
You add heat to the working fluid - some of that heat gets used to do work and some leaves via the exhaust.

Since efficiency is 1-T(cold)/T(hot)
For a Carnot Engine - yes.
All other engines are less efficient - so they'd need more input energy to get the same work done.
You add heat to the working fluid - some of that heat gets used to do work and some leaves via the exhaust.

Ok i think I've got this...

W/Q(hot)=1-(T(cold)/T(hot))
mgh/Q(hot)=1-(T(cold)/T(hot))
Q(hot)=mgh/(1-(T(cold)/T(hot)))
Q(hot)=1.378*10^6J

Is this correct Simon?

That what I'd have done with the same information.
If this is a long answer, you actually want to use the word "Carnot" somewhere in relation to minimizing Q(hot) needed... i.e. link it to the question.

Sweet thanks for the help Simon!

Related to Calculating Energy Requirements for Solar-Powered Equipment Lift

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time, or remains constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state or undergoing a reversible process.

4. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are: 1) the Law of Conservation of Energy, 2) the Law of Entropy, and 3) the Law of Absolute Temperature.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics is applied in many areas of everyday life, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, air conditioners, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather and climate, and in chemical reactions and processes.