Calculating energy separation between two states

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy separation between two states of an ionized atom with the same number of electrons as a known energy separation in a neutral atom. The solution involves using perturbation theory and the variational principle to approximate the energy difference, taking into account the effects of Z and the average separation distance. The conversation also touches on the relationship between energy and distance, with the understanding that an increase in Z leads to an increase in energy.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

If the energy separation of two states is known for some atom, how can the same energy separation be calculated for the same two states for an ionized atom? i.e. if we know that the difference between the [itex]1s^2[/itex] and the [itex]1s2s[/itex] states in Helium is something like 25eV, how could I use this information to approximate the energy difference between the same two levels of an ionized atom with the same number of electrons, like [itex]Li^+[/itex], or [itex]Be^{2+}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Other than doing extensive calculations using perturbation theory and the variational principle, I have no idea how to do this problem. The prompt asks to estimate the energy separation..so even if we know the [itex]\ell[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] of the two states in question, without plugging it all into the wave function for hydrogen (assuming that this is even valid) and finding the normalization constant and looking up the spherical harmonics how is this possible?

Clearly, the energy separation between the [itex]1s^2[/itex] and [itex]1s2s[/itex] state of an ionized atom are going to be less that of helium...but as far as a quantitative estimate?? Does anyone have any hints or ideas?

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you think will have the largest effect on the energy of the state?

consider hydrogen, then He+, and Li2+... and the effect of Z the energy separation for 2 given states... not a silver bullet but hopefully it helps...

IHateMayonnaise said:
Clearly, the energy separation between the [itex]1s^2[/itex] and [itex]1s2s[/itex] state of an ionized atom are going to be less that of helium...but as far as a quantitative estimate?? Does anyone have any hints or ideas?
also why do you think it is less? I'd probably think its more at first glance

lanedance said:
what do you think will have the largest effect on the energy of the state?

consider hydrogen, then He+, and Li2+... and the effect of Z the energy separation for 2 given states... not a silver bullet but hopefully it helps...

Well, the largest impact would be what state the atom is in. I.e. how hard is it to ionize one (or both) of the electrons in this case.

The energy that seprates Hydrogen from singly ionized helium (for ex.) is that obviously there is a difference of one electron. That electron, although it is screened by the inner one, adds to the total binding energy.

lanedance said:
also why do you think it is less? I'd probably think its more at first glance

I would think that the energy separation between the levels (orbitals) would be less since the extremely charged nucleus would pull them closer together..?

Thanks for your reply, btw

average separation distance & energy level differnece are 2 very differnt things... and energy and "distance" can often have an inverse relationship, think of a praticle de broglie wavelength.

so in the hydrogen & Li+ case:
write out the simple energy for energy level as function primary quantum number n, how does E scale as Zis increased?

I thiink of it as extra proton greatly increase steepness and depth of the potential well the electron must reside in leading to higher energies

now you must think of your 2 electrons states, with different Zs. if we ignore nuclear spins, then you are considering exactly the same state transition only with a different Z

lanedance said:
average separation distance & energy level differnece are 2 very differnt things... and energy and "distance" can often have an inverse relationship, think of a praticle de broglie wavelength.

so in the hydrogen & Li+ case:
write out the simple energy for energy level as function primary quantum number n, how does E scale as Zis increased?

E increases as Z increases. For ex,

[tex]E_n=E_R\left(\frac{Z^2}{n^2}\right)[/tex]

In the case of hydrogenic atoms, which is not the case here.

I thiink of it as extra proton greatly increase steepness and depth of the potential well the electron must reside in leading to higher energies

now you must think of your 2 electrons states, with different Zs. if we ignore nuclear spins, then you are considering exactly the same state transition only with a different Z

So..then the energy separation will be the same, just deeper?

Related to Calculating energy separation between two states

What is the energy separation between two states?

The energy separation between two states is the difference in energy levels between those two states. It is a measure of the amount of energy required to move between the two states.

How is the energy separation between two states calculated?

The energy separation between two states can be calculated by taking the difference between the energies of the two states. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by measuring the energy directly through experiments.

What factors affect the energy separation between two states?

The energy separation between two states can be affected by various factors such as the type of system, the distance between the two states, and the strength of the interactions between the particles in the system.

Why is it important to calculate the energy separation between two states?

Calculating the energy separation between two states is important in understanding the behavior and properties of a system. It can also help in predicting the transitions between different states and the energy requirements for those transitions.

Can the energy separation between two states ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the energy separation between two states to be zero. This would mean that the two states have the same energy level and are degenerate. In such cases, the system may exhibit unique properties and behaviors.