Calculating Entropy Change in a Brass Rod Undergoing Heat Conduction

In summary: The rod undergoes a temperature change of +1.063 J as a result of the 1200 J of heat passing through it.
Kelvin
A brass rod is in thermal contact with a heat reservoir at 130 degree C at one end and a heat reservoir at 24.0 degree C at the other end. Compute the total change in the entropy arising from the process of conduction of 1200 J of heat through the rod.

My attempt is:

[tex]
\[
\begin{gathered}
\Delta S = \Delta S_{heat} + \Delta S_{rod} + \Delta S_{cool} \hfill \\
\Delta S_{heat} = \frac{Q}
{T} = \frac{{ - 1200{\text{ J}}}}
{{130 + 273{\text{ K}}}} \hfill \\
\Delta S_{cool} = \frac{Q}
{T} = \frac{{1200{\text{ J}}}}
{{24 + 273{\text{ K}}}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
\]
[/tex]

so far, am I correct? If yes, how can I calculate the entropy change of the rod?
I know it is a irreversible process. but without knowing the intial states (p, V, T), it is impossible to construct a reversible one connecting the intial and final states and then make use of the fact that entropy is a state function.
so I think there must be an indirect method to know the entropy change of the rod.

Please give me some hints coz I have read the entropy chapter of my textbook for many times and I'm still not sure how to approach it. :cry:
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem begins with the Rod already connected as indicated and already in a dynamically steady-state condition. Therefore, no state change occurs in the Rod for the thermodynamic processes of this problem. Hence:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ \Delta S = \Delta S_{HOT} + \Delta S_{rod} + \Delta S_{COLD} [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ \Delta S_{HOT} = \frac {\Delta Q} {T} = \frac {-1200} {130 + 273} [/tex]

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ \Delta S_{COLD} = \frac {\Delta Q} {T} = \frac {1200}
{24 + 273} [/tex]

[tex] :(4): \ \ \ \ \Delta S_{rod} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] :(5): \ \ \ \ \Delta S = (+1.063 \ J) [/tex]

~~

Last edited:
From the given information, I would assume that the rod doesn't change at all during this process so it can't have any change in entropy. If there is some constant heat flow across the rod, its temperature is ill-defined but you can't really say it's changing in any way, so all the entropy would be due solely to the changes in the heat reservoirs.

I'm fairly new to thermo, though, so a second opinion would be good.

edit: ah, xanthym, great

thank you xanthym and duarh!

In my mind I have unconsciously assumed that the rod is originally at room temperature before connected to the reserviors, so there should be temperature change.

I see your points ~ thanks a lot :)

Related to Calculating Entropy Change in a Brass Rod Undergoing Heat Conduction

1. What is entropy and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a fundamental concept that describes the direction in which a system will spontaneously move towards equilibrium. In other words, it shows the tendency of a system to become more disordered over time.

2. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy can be calculated using the formula S = k ln W, where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates available to a system at a given energy level. Essentially, it is a measure of the number of ways a system can be arranged or distributed among its energy levels.

3. What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related in thermodynamics. In a closed system, the total energy remains constant, but the entropy increases over time. This means that energy is continually being transferred and distributed, resulting in an increase in entropy. Therefore, entropy can be seen as a measure of the energy dispersal or distribution within a system.

4. How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always tend to increase over time. This is because systems naturally tend towards a state of higher disorder and randomness, which is reflected in an increase in entropy. Therefore, entropy is a fundamental concept that supports the second law of thermodynamics.

5. What are some practical applications of entropy in everyday life?

Entropy has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. In everyday life, it can be observed in processes such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and the growth of living organisms. Entropy also plays a significant role in the design and efficiency of engines, refrigerators, and other heat engines.