Calculating Escape Height for a Fish Evading a Diving Pelican

In summary, the pelican must spot the fish from a minimum height of 16 meters to allow enough time for the fish to perform evasive action. For the problem with the stone being thrown vertically, the answer for (b) has two solutions because the ball comes back down past 15 meters, and the quadratic equation can be used to find both solutions. For the problem with the person jumping from a fourth-story window, the average deceleration experienced by the survivor when slowed by the net can be found using one of the equations of motion and tightening the net would increase the deceleration.
Petrikovski
Pelicans tuck their wings and free-fall straight down when diving for fish. Suppose a pelican starts its dive from a height of 16 m and cannot change its path once committed. If it takes a fish .20 s to perform evasice action, at what minimum height must it spot the pelican to escape? Assume the fish is at the surface of the water.

i just can't figure it out >_> please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The pelican fall from a height H, say. When it is at a height h, it is spotted by the fish. 0.2s later, the pelican strikes the water, and the fish.

Very similar to this problem here, but with a change in unknowns.

i solved that one but i have another 2 problems :|

A stone is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 22 m/s. (a) How fast is it moving when it reaches a heihgt of 15 m? (b) How long is required to reach this height? (c) Why are there two answers to b?

for (a), using X = 15, Xsub0 = 0, Vsub0 = 22, and a = -9.8 i got 13.78 m/s. For b i got .84 seconds. Those are both right but, for (b), there's a second answer becausre the ball comes back down past 15 M. but i can't figure out how to get it. The answer is 3.65 seconds but idk how to get it. any help? this ones really puzzling me

A person jumps from a fourth-story window 15 m above a firefighters safety net. The survivor stretches the net 1 m before coming to rest. (a) What was the average deceleration experienced by the survivor when slowed by the net? (b) Would tightening the net or loosening it increase the deceleration?

please help :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Petrikovski said:

for (b), there's a second answer becausre the ball comes back down past 15 M. but i can't figure out how to get it.

Should should have a quadratic in t when solving for time for the particle to be at a height of 15m

[tex]x_f = x_0 +v_0*t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

That'll give you both answers.

Fermat said:
Should should have a quadratic in t when solving for time for the particle to be at a height of 15m

[tex]x_f = x_0 +v_0*t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

That'll give you both answers.
ok i got it but still need help with other one

A person jumps from a fourth-story window 15 m above a firefighters safety net. The survivor stretches the net 1 m before coming to rest. (a) What was the average deceleration experienced by the survivor when slowed by the net? (b) Would tightening the net or loosening it increase the deceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
The person falls for 15m under gravity.
What is his velocity at this point.
He then travels 1m before coming to a stop - he has final velocity = 0
That's all you need to apply one of the eqns of motion - vf, vi, accln and distance travelled.
For (b), would you rather jump into a taut net or a flaccid net ??

Related to Calculating Escape Height for a Fish Evading a Diving Pelican

1. What is the Kinematics bird dive question?

The Kinematics bird dive question is a theoretical physics problem that asks how a bird is able to successfully dive and catch its prey without hitting the ground. This question explores the relationship between the bird's velocity, acceleration, and position during the dive.

2. How do scientists approach the Kinematics bird dive question?

Scientists use the principles of kinematics, a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, to analyze the bird's dive. They also take into account factors such as air resistance and the bird's physical capabilities to solve this problem.

3. What are the main factors that influence a bird's dive?

The main factors that influence a bird's dive include its initial velocity, the angle at which it dives, its acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. Other factors may also play a role, such as the bird's wing shape and the location of its prey.

4. Can the Kinematics bird dive question be answered with a single equation?

No, the Kinematics bird dive question cannot be fully answered with a single equation. This question involves multiple variables and factors, so it requires a more complex analysis using equations and principles of physics.

5. Why is the Kinematics bird dive question important?

The Kinematics bird dive question is important because it allows scientists to better understand the principles of physics and how they apply to real-world scenarios. This question can also help inform the design and development of technology, such as drones and aircraft, that need to maneuver and navigate through the air.