Calculating Final Temperature of Mixed Ice and Water Sample | No Heat Loss

• Thread starter meganw
  • Start date
In summary, the final temperature of the mixture of 19.2 g ice at -10.0°C and 100.0 g water at 74.9°C, assuming no heat loss to the surroundings, can be calculated by setting up the equation Q(melt) + Q(cold water) = Q(hot water) and solving for the final temperature. This results in a final temperature of 41.0°C.
meganw

Homework Statement

A 19.2 g sample of ice at -10.0°C is mixed with 100.0 g of water at 74.9°C. Calculate the final temperature of the mixture assuming no heat loss to the surroundings. The heat capacities of H2O(s) and H2O(l) are 2.08 and 4.18 J g-1 °C-1, respectively, and the enthalpy of fusion for ice is 6.02 kJ/mol.
__________ degrees Celsius

Homework Equations

q = mass * specific heat * (delta) temp

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I knew how to do it but keep getting it wrong. =(

19.2 g ice at -10.0 deg going to 0 deg:
19.2g x 2.08 J/g deg x 10 deg = 399.96 J
Melting 19.0 g ice at 0 deg requires-
19.2g x (1/18.02 g/mol) x 6.02kJ/mol x 1000 J/kJ x = 6350.77 J
399.96 + 6350.77 = 6750 J
That energy will come from cooling 100.0 g H20:
6750 = (100)(4.18)(T-74.9)
T(final) = 91.04

thats wrong on webassign though...

I also tried doing 74.9 - T to see if that works and I get 58.8 but that's wrong too.

Thanks for any help! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Once the ice gets melted you have a mixture of 19.2g water at 0 deg C and 100g water at some other temperature. Neither of these temperatures is final.

Also note that 91.04 is obviously wrong - you can't take a water at 74.9 deg C, add ice to it and end with water that is hotter than it was before.

Hmmm...then how would I relate the temps if they are not final? What else would I need to do?? :-/

You know that cold water has to get warmer and the cold one has to get colder. Heat gained = heat lost, they have both identical final temperature.

Related to Calculating Final Temperature of Mixed Ice and Water Sample | No Heat Loss

1. What does "Mc(delta) t" stand for?

"Mc(delta) t" is a common notation used in physics and chemistry to represent the change in mass (m) over a change in time (delta t). It is often used in equations involving the rate of change of a system.

2. How do I calculate "Mc(delta) t"?

To calculate "Mc(delta) t", you need to know the initial mass (m1), final mass (m2), and time interval (delta t) of the system. The formula for "Mc(delta) t" is (m2 - m1) / (delta t).

3. Why is "Mc(delta) t" important in scientific research?

"Mc(delta) t" is important because it helps us understand and quantify the changes that occur in a system over time. By measuring the change in mass over a specific time interval, we can analyze the rate at which a system is changing and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can "Mc(delta) t" be negative?

No, "Mc(delta) t" cannot be negative. The change in mass (m2 - m1) must always be a positive value, as mass cannot decrease over time. If the initial mass is greater than the final mass, the result will be a positive value indicating a decrease in mass over time.

5. What are some common mistakes when using "Mc(delta) t"?

One common mistake is not using consistent units for mass and time. Make sure to convert all values to the same units before plugging them into the formula. Another mistake is not using the correct initial and final mass values. It is important to clearly define which mass is being measured at the beginning and end of the time interval.