Calculating Fission Energy from Uranium Fuel

In summary, the amount of fission energy, in joules, that can be generated from 2kg of uranium fuel, given that the U-235 represents 0.7% of the metal and each fission reaction produces 200 MeV, is 7.173 x 10^21 MeV.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

Calculate the amount of fission energy, in joules, that can be generated from 2kg of uranium fuel, if the U-235 represents 0.7% of the metal, and every fission reaction produces 200MeV.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is irrelevant before i even know what does the energy per fission mean. I mean, in a fission of Uranium how many atoms are used?.. Anyway, i need some good replies on the qestion above!

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the amount of fission energy, in joules, that can be generated from 2kg of uranium fuel, if the U-235 represents 0.7% of the metal, and every fission reaction produces 200MeV.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is irrelevant before i even know what does the energy per fission mean. I mean, in a fission of Uranium how many atoms are used?.. Anyway, i need some good replies on the question above!
I'm pretty sure that they mean that each time a U-235 nucleus undergoes a fission, that's a fission reaction.

Upon that assumption, how can i reach to a final answer in this question. I am actaully confused in the topic itself so i need to know how to attempt such a question

How much mass of U-235 is there in a 2 kg sample of Uranium?

How many U-235 atoms are in such a sample?

You have the energy per fission event given. If you multiply this by the number iof fission events, you get the total energy. How can you calculate the # of fission events?

Mu current attempt is out of 2000g of Uranium fuel there are .7/100 * 2000= 14 grams... If 235 g of U-235 has 6.02x10^23 atoms, therefore in 14 grams there is 14* 6.02x10^23 / 235= 3.586x10^22 atoms.. = number of fission... Multiplying this answer by 200 MeV i get 7.173x10^24 which is ultimately wrong. Which step did i miss or which step was wrong?? Please HELP!

ehabmozart said:
Mu current attempt is out of 2000g of Uranium fuel there are .7/100 * 2000= 14 grams... If 235 g of U-235 has 6.02x10^23 atoms, therefore in 14 grams there is 14* 6.02x10^23 / 235= 3.586x10^22 atoms.. = number of fission... Multiplying this answer by 200 MeV i get 7.173x10^24 which is ultimately wrong. Which step did i miss or which step was wrong?? Please HELP!
That's 7.173×1024 MeV.

Convert that to Joules !

oh dude... was the MeV value correct? Mybad, the answer in MeV in my book was 7.173x10^21 Mev.. Forget about joules and just assure me if my value of meV was right?

Related to Calculating Fission Energy from Uranium Fuel

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars, and it is the potential source of clean and virtually limitless energy on Earth.

2. How is nuclear fusion different from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion and nuclear fission are both forms of nuclear reactions, but they are fundamentally different processes. In nuclear fusion, two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, while in nuclear fission, a heavy nucleus splits into smaller nuclei. Fusion reactions release more energy than fission reactions and produce little to no radioactive waste.

3. What is required for nuclear fusion to occur?

Nuclear fusion requires extremely high temperatures (in the range of millions of degrees Celsius) and pressures to overcome the natural repulsion between positively charged nuclei. This is why fusion reactions are typically only possible in the core of stars or through advanced technology, such as in a tokamak fusion reactor.

4. What are the potential benefits of nuclear fusion?

If harnessed successfully, nuclear fusion could provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy with minimal environmental impact. It would also reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and other non-renewable energy sources. Additionally, fusion reactions produce little to no greenhouse gases or radioactive waste.

5. What are the current challenges in achieving viable nuclear fusion?

One of the main challenges in achieving viable nuclear fusion is creating and sustaining the extreme temperatures and pressures required for the reaction to occur. Additionally, scientists are still working on developing materials that can withstand the intense conditions of a fusion reaction. There are also economic and political challenges in funding and implementing large-scale fusion projects. However, with ongoing research and advancements in technology, these challenges are being addressed and progress is being made towards viable nuclear fusion.