Calculating Flexural Rigidity across span of guitar soundboard

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of flexural rigidity across the span of a guitar soundboard, which is composed of triangular and rectangular sections. The second moment of area and Young's Modulus are used to calculate the flexural rigidity of each section, but the overall flexural rigidity across the span is still uncertain. The conversation also mentions the use of the Parallel Axis Theorem and the need for images to be properly attached.
jellicorse

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the flexural rigidity across the span of a guitar soundboard.

The soundboard is comprised of a number of struts, the shape of which can be approximated to a triangular section sitting on a rectangular section. This makes for straightforward calculation of the second moment of area.

Diagrams
SBFlexResDiagII_zps80484105.jpg

SBFlexResDiag_zps73932c76.jpg

I can see how to calculate the flexural rigidity of each soundboard-brace section: by finding the overall second moment of area of the section (using parallel axis theorem) and then multiplying this by the Young's Modulus (E). (In this case, a standard value for the material in question - Spruce at 10GPa).

What I can not see how to do is to find the overall flexural rigidity across a span of the soundboard.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me how to approach this.

Homework Equations

Parallel Axis Theorem:
[tex]I_{AB} = I_C + l^2 A[/tex]

[tex]Flexural Rigidity = EI[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, right clicking doesn't show any images.

I think you have to select "show image in new tab" and it should work...

Sorry, t'aint nothin' there to click on.

Have you tried to contact a moderator about helping you to attach an image file?

Likes 1 person
Oh, cheers for letting me know! I'll see if I can contact a moderator...

I changed the [ IMG ] tags to [ url ] tags because it's a url rather than an image link.

The links now seem to work.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot Astronuc. I'll bear that in mind for future posts.

Related to Calculating Flexural Rigidity across span of guitar soundboard

1. What is flexural rigidity?

Flexural rigidity is a measure of a material's resistance to bending or flexing. In the context of a guitar soundboard, it refers to the stiffness of the wood used to create the top of the guitar that affects its ability to vibrate and produce sound.

2. How is flexural rigidity calculated for a guitar soundboard?

Flexural rigidity is calculated by multiplying the modulus of elasticity (a measure of a material's stiffness) by the moment of inertia (a measure of a material's resistance to bending). The formula for flexural rigidity is EI = PL³/48, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, P is the applied load, and L is the length of the span.

3. What factors affect the flexural rigidity of a guitar soundboard?

The type of wood used, its density and grain orientation, the thickness and bracing pattern of the soundboard, and the shape and size of the guitar all affect the flexural rigidity of a guitar soundboard. Additionally, the humidity and temperature of the environment can also impact the stiffness of the wood and therefore, the flexural rigidity of the soundboard.

4. Why is flexural rigidity important for a guitar soundboard?

The flexural rigidity of a guitar soundboard directly affects its ability to vibrate and produce sound. A higher flexural rigidity can result in a brighter and louder sound, while a lower flexural rigidity can produce a warmer and softer sound. It is also important for the structural integrity of the guitar, as a soundboard with insufficient flexural rigidity can lead to cracking and other damage.

5. How can flexural rigidity be optimized for a guitar soundboard?

The flexural rigidity of a guitar soundboard can be optimized by carefully selecting the type of wood, its density and grain orientation, and the thickness and bracing pattern of the soundboard. The shape and size of the guitar can also be adjusted to achieve the desired flexural rigidity. It is important to consider the intended sound and playing style when making these decisions.