Calculating Flow Rate & Pressure for Coriolis Mass Flow Meter

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Coriolis mass flow meter and a motor/pump to measure flow rates of water. The question is whether there are equations that govern the relationship between flow rate and motor/pump frequency, as well as pressure at the inlet of the flow meter. It is suggested to contact the pump manufacturer and use pump affinity laws to determine the flow capacity of the pump at different speeds.
amitkaria2k

Homework Statement

I have a Coriolis mass flow meter and I'm supposed to run water through it at different flow rates. I have a motor / pump which is controlled by AC drive (which is controlled by potentiometer). Also, I have a pressure transducer mounted at the input side of Coriolis mass flow meter

Homework Equations

1. If I have to achieve a flow rate of X lb/min then at what speed (rpm) I should be running the motor / pump? Is there any equation that governs flow rate and motor / pump frequency?

2. Is there any equation that governs pressure at inlet of mass flow meter v/s the flow rate or motor / pump frequency?

The Attempt at a Solution

NA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No there is no such equation because all motors are different. I can't quite tell, but it seems that you are supposed to find out what the flow rate is for this pump by using the flow rate meter. What is the assignment, exactly, word for word?

You will need to contact the pump manufacturer and get the pump curve for the pump you are using. It will show you the relationship between volumetric flow rate (gallons per minute) and head (feet). You can then use pump affinity laws to determine how flow capacity of your pump changes when pump speed changes.

Related to Calculating Flow Rate & Pressure for Coriolis Mass Flow Meter

1. What is a Coriolis mass flow meter?

A Coriolis mass flow meter is a type of flow meter that measures the mass flow rate of a fluid by utilizing the Coriolis effect. It works by inducing a vibration in a tube that carries the fluid, and then measuring the distortion of the vibration caused by the fluid's mass flow.

2. How does a Coriolis mass flow meter calculate flow rate?

A Coriolis mass flow meter calculates flow rate by measuring the frequency and phase shift of the tube's vibration caused by the fluid's mass flow. The higher the frequency and larger the phase shift, the higher the flow rate of the fluid.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of flow rate measurement with a Coriolis mass flow meter?

The accuracy of flow rate measurement with a Coriolis mass flow meter can be affected by factors such as the fluid's density, viscosity, and temperature, as well as the installation and calibration of the meter.

4. How is pressure measured in a Coriolis mass flow meter?

Pressure in a Coriolis mass flow meter is measured by using a pressure sensor to detect the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet of the tube carrying the fluid. This pressure difference is then used to calculate the fluid's mass flow rate.

5. What are the typical applications of Coriolis mass flow meters?

Coriolis mass flow meters are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and food and beverage, where accurate and precise measurement of fluid flow rates is crucial for process control and efficiency. They can also be used in applications such as custody transfer, batching, and blending.