Calculating Force & Accel. From Cell Phone Dropping Homework

• Thread starter gembi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a kid's phone falls out of his pocket while he is wearing earbuds. The question is asked about the force and acceleration on the kid's head when the phone stops. The conversation also includes a humorous comment about the head falling off and a reminder to show your attempt when requesting help.
gembi

Homework Statement

A hip kid is sitting down listening to music on his cell phone. The ear buds connected to the phone are inserted in his ears firmly and the phone is in his pocket. As the kid pulls something out of his pocket, the phone falls out and freely falls until just centimeters above the ground (irrelevant how far). The phone is stopped as the headphone cord becomes taught. The mass of the phone is 143 grams and the distance the phone dropped was 50 centimeters. The mass of the kid's head was 5 kilograms. Imagining that there is no resistance from the head and the ear buds stay in the ears, answer the following question:

Homework Equations

What was the a) force on the head and b) acceleration of the head?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a possible answer and just want to check if I am right. Can someone tell me what they get? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gembi. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Do I have this right ... the head falls off?

No, my professor said that the head just acts like it would in real life. When the phone stops it jerks the head downward a little bit. My professor wants to know the force and acceleration. caused by this

I have a possible answer...

You should show your attempt when requesting help/confirmation.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi gembi. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Do I have this right ... the head falls off?

:smile::smile:

Related to Calculating Force & Accel. From Cell Phone Dropping Homework

1. What is the formula for calculating force and acceleration?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F represents force in Newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared. The formula for calculating acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a represents acceleration, Δv represents change in velocity, and Δt represents change in time.

2. How do I determine the mass of my cell phone?

To determine the mass of your cell phone, you can use a scale that measures in kilograms. Simply place your cell phone on the scale and record the mass in kilograms. Alternatively, you can look up the mass of your specific cell phone model online.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for force and acceleration?

No, it is important to use consistent units of measurement when calculating force and acceleration. Force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

4. How can I measure the acceleration of my cell phone when it drops?

You can measure the acceleration of your cell phone by using a smartphone app that has an accelerometer feature. This feature can measure the acceleration of your phone as it falls, which can then be used in the formula to calculate the force of impact.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of force and acceleration when dropping a cell phone?

Yes, there may be other factors that can affect the calculation of force and acceleration when dropping a cell phone, such as air resistance and the surface on which the phone lands. These factors can be difficult to account for and may affect the accuracy of the calculation.