Calculating Force and Angle Vectors | Help with Force/Vectors Homework

• Thread starter vykim223
  • Start date
In summary, vykim223 was trying to solve a homework problem involving three forces, but was having trouble with the maths. He was given a diagram to help him, but is unsure about his answers. He thinks he might be wrong. He is unsure if he is using the right equations, or if he is familiar with vectors. He was told that if the total force on a body is zero, then the forces on two perpendicular vectors must be zero as well. He is still trying to solve the problem.
vykim223

Homework Statement

Given: >>http://postimage.org/image/vohuki2rr/<<
F1 = 250g, θ1 = 90°
F2 = 150g, θ2 = 210°
F3 = ?g, θ3 = ?°

a. Calculate the values for F3 and θ3.
b. Draw a diagram.

Homework Equations

R = A + B
R = A + B + C
F = √(Fx)^2 + (Fy)^2
θ = TAN-1(Fy/Fx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used to first and the third formula to solve for F3 and the last formula to try to solve for θ3 but my teacher told me that my answers were wrong. I'm just at a complete loss now on this problem. I've put up a link on top with the image that's part of the problem also. Could someone help me in the right direction? I don't want the answers but rather the proper way to go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums, vykim223 :)

Your diagram is a bit odd. Why have you drawn it so that θ1 is much less than 90°? But anyway, the diagram doesn't really matter, since you are using the maths to solve this problem.

I'm guessing the problem is to solve so that the three forces add up to zero? Your relevant equations might be correct. It just depends on how you use them. Allright, so are you familiar with the idea of a vector? If we're saying the three forces sum to zero, then what does that mean mathematically? And considering that we are given two of the forces, what does that tell us about the last force?

BruceW said:
Welcome to physicsforums, vykim223 :)

Your diagram is a bit odd. Why have you drawn it so that θ1 is much less than 90°? But anyway, the diagram doesn't really matter, since you are using the maths to solve this problem.

I'm guessing the problem is to solve so that the three forces add up to zero? Your relevant equations might be correct. It just depends on how you use them. Allright, so are you familiar with the idea of a vector? If we're saying the three forces sum to zero, then what does that mean mathematically? And considering that we are given two of the forces, what does that tell us about the last force?

The diagram wasn't meant to scale to begin with cause I have 4 similar problems that goes with it. If I can solve this one problem then I'll be able to do the other 4 problems.
So if all three forces are supposed to add up to zero. Then the way to solve it is...
250g + 150g + F3 = 0
F3 = 400g?

θ = TAN-1(210°/90°)
θ = 66.80°?

I don't feel too confident in my answers. I could be very very wrong. I understand that in vectors the F3 must be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the R (F1+F2).

If the net force on a body is 0, then the component of forces along two perpendicular axis is 0. (Why?)(Hint:Vectors).

Write equations for vector components of force.Remember, force is a vector quantity.It follows vector addition laws.
Use these to obtain the answer.

emailanmol has said some useful stuff. As he's implied, this question is really just testing your understanding of vectors.

vykim223 said:
So if all three forces are supposed to add up to zero. Then the way to solve it is...
250g + 150g + F3 = 0
F3 = 400g?
I'm guessing you meant F3 = -400g? But anyway, this is not right. It would be right if the forces were in 1d, but for this problem, we've got 2d, so you need to also consider the direction which each of the forces are pointing.

vykim223 said:
I understand that in vectors the F3 must be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the R (F1+F2).
Yes, that's right. So now you just need to find the direction and magnitude of F1+F2. You might find it easiest to do this by drawing out the problem, and using geometry. (That's what I usually do when I get a vector problem).

Related to Calculating Force and Angle Vectors | Help with Force/Vectors Homework

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects and causes a change in motion or shape of an object. It is measured in newtons (N).

What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How do I calculate the net force?

The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. To calculate it, you must add all the forces together, taking into account their direction and magnitude. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

What is the difference between a balanced and an unbalanced force?

A balanced force is when two or more forces acting on an object are of equal magnitude and opposite direction, resulting in a net force of zero. An unbalanced force is when the forces are not equal, resulting in a net force and causing the object to accelerate in the direction of the net force.

How do I resolve a vector into its components?

To resolve a vector into its components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The horizontal component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle, and the vertical component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.