Calculating force for a mass in a hoop

• Thread starter Smartguy94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the question involves finding the force with which a mass of 6.40E-1 kg pushes on a hoop of radius 1.60 m when the mass is at an angle of 37.0° and has a speed of 5.25 m/s. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations a = v^2/r and F = ma, but the speed at 37° needs to be calculated first.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

A mass M of 6.40E-1 kg slides inside a hoop of radius R=1.60 m with negligible friction. When M is at the top, it has a speed of 5.25 m/s. Calculate the size of the force with which the M pushes on the hoop when M is at an angle of 37.0°.

[URL]http://loncapa.gwu.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob25_1015hoop2.gif[/URL]

Homework Equations

Finding the F

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried 2 times and both are wrong

first i tried

a=v^2/r
a=(5.25)^2/1.6
a=17.227

F=ma
F=(.640)(17.227)
F=11.025N and that's wrong...

second try i draw force diagram and got

tan(37)=opposite/adjacent
tan(37)mg=opposite
4.726N=the horizontal force of the gravity? and its wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Smartguy94 said:
first i tried

a=v^2/r
a=(5.25)^2/1.6
a=17.227
You're using the speed at the top. But you need the speed at 37°. Figure that out first.

(FYI: Your diagram is not viewable.)

FAQ: Calculating force for a mass in a hoop

1. How do you calculate the force for a mass in a hoop?

The force for a mass in a hoop can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity and the radius of the hoop.

2. What is the formula for calculating force for a mass in a hoop?

The formula for calculating force for a mass in a hoop is F = mgR, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the hoop.

3. How does the radius of the hoop affect the force on a mass?

The radius of the hoop directly affects the force on a mass. As the radius increases, the force also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can the force for a mass in a hoop be negative?

No, the force for a mass in a hoop cannot be negative as it is a measure of the magnitude of the push or pull on the object.

5. What is the unit of measurement for force in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for force in this calculation is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI).

Back