Calculating Force in a Hydraulic Press

• Thread starter C-A-L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the hydraulic press used in a trash compactor exerts a force of 300N when the force applied to the input piston is 330N.
C-A-L

Homework Statement

In the hydraulic press used in a trash compactor, the radius of the input piston and the output piston are 0.00640 meters and 0.0510 meters, respectively. The height difference between the input piston and the output piston can be neglected. Calculate the force exerted by the output piston when the force applied to the input piston is 330 N?

Homework Equations

P= F / A = F=P*A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to use as pressure to find the force?

F=P* 0.0510

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
p = 330/(0.0064)=46875 N/m2

Then...

F=P*A

F=46875* 0.0064= 300N

So the 300N is the force exerted on the output piston?

C-A-L said:
p = 330/(0.0064)=46875 N/m2

Then...

F=P*A

F=46875* 0.0064= 300N

So the 300N is the force exerted on the output piston?

uhh? :redface:

all you've done is divide by .0064, and then multiply by it again …

though somehow you didn't get back to where you started from :confused:

start again, this time use both radiuses, also remember it isn't radius, it's area in the formula :smile:

input 0.006402*3.14= 1.29 x 10-4
output area equals .00816

F=46875* (0.00816*0.000129)
=4.93NThis is what I have but I know it's wrong because the force is to small, where did I go wrong?

Hi C-A-L! :smile:
C-A-L said:
F=46875* (0.00816*0.000129)
=4.93N

Your areas are correct, but I don't understand this equation at all :confused:

you should always write out your formula first, in this case using F1 F2 A1 and A2

what is it?​

I see where I was confused I setup the problem F1A2=F2A1
I found the answer thank you for your help.

FAQ: Calculating Force in a Hydraulic Press

1. How do you calculate force?

To calculate force, you can use the formula F = m x a, where F is force in Newtons (N), m is mass in kilograms (kg), and a is acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

3. How does the direction of force affect an object?

The direction of force determines the direction of an object's motion or the direction of its acceleration. If the force is in the same direction as the object's motion, the object will speed up. If the force is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down. If the force is perpendicular to the object's motion, it will change the object's direction.

4. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It can be calculated by adding up all the forces acting on an object in a given direction.

5. How does force affect objects of different masses?

Force affects objects of different masses differently. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, F = m x a, an object with a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as an object with a smaller mass. This means that the more massive an object is, the slower it will accelerate when acted upon by a given force.