Calculating Force of Gravity with Fg = (G m1 Me)/Re^2

In summary, the equation Fg = (G m1 Me)/Re^2 takes into account the radius of the Earth and its mass to calculate the force of gravity. However, it neglects other factors such as the Earth's shape and movement through space, as well as its varying density. These factors may affect the measured weight of objects on Earth, but they do not impact the force of gravity itself.
Lucky_69
does the following equation

Fg = (G m1 Me)/Re^2

the R is the radius had to get the e subscript

neglect the fact that

the Earth isn't really a sphere?

that the Earth dosen't move in a complete circular orbit?

That the Earth experiances a drag force among others as it moves through space?

That the Earth spins and that it experiances a latitude-dependent centrifugal force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, to all of them. However only the first is of any significance. The others do not effect the force of gravity in any way. The last will effect the measured weight of a body but not the Earth's gravity.

It also neglects the fact that the density of the Earth is inconsistent. Perhaps the largest inconsistency in density is that continental crust has more silicon dioxide which is lighter and therefore floats higher on the semi-molten mantle, while oceanic crust is more dense, contains more magnesium and iron (which makes basalt black), so the oceanic crust floats lower on the mantle.

FAQ: Calculating Force of Gravity with Fg = (G m1 Me)/Re^2

What is the equation for calculating force of gravity?

The equation for calculating force of gravity is Fg = (G m1 Me)/Re^2, where Fg is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 is the mass of one object, Me is the mass of the other object (usually the Earth), and Re is the distance between the two objects.

What is the significance of each variable in the equation?

Fg represents the force of gravity, which is the attraction between two objects due to their masses. G is the gravitational constant, which is a universal constant that relates the masses of two objects to the force of gravity between them. m1 and Me represent the masses of the two objects, and Re is the distance between them.

How do I calculate the force of gravity using this equation?

To calculate the force of gravity between two objects, you will need to know the values of each variable in the equation. Once you have the values, you can simply plug them into the equation and solve for Fg. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable (e.g. kilograms for mass, meters for distance).

What is the unit of measurement for force of gravity?

The unit of measurement for force of gravity is Newtons (N). This is a derived unit that is equal to kilogram-meter per second squared (kg·m/s^2). This means that the force of gravity can be calculated by multiplying the masses of the two objects and dividing by the square of the distance between them.

Can this equation be used for any two objects?

Yes, this equation can be used for any two objects as long as you have the values for each variable. However, it is typically used for objects that are relatively close to each other and have significant masses, such as the Earth and other planets or the Earth and the Moon. It may not be as accurate for smaller or more distant objects.

Back