Calculating Force on a Diving Bell Port at 147m Depth | Simple Pressure Problem

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem involves a spherical diving bell in the ocean at a depth of 147 m. The port of the bell has a diameter of 12.7 cm and is subjected to a force from the water and atmospheric pressure. To calculate the total force, the volume of water on top of the port is determined using the area and depth, and then the mass of the water is found using the density of sea water. The total force is then calculated by multiplying the mass by gravity. Another method involves finding the weight of the column of water above the port and converting it to force. The final answer is 20 kN.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A spherical diving bell containing a camera is in the ocean at a depth of 147 m. It has a flat, transparent, circular port with a diameter of 12.7 cm. Find the total force on the port (use ρsea water = 1025 kg/m3).

Homework Equations

p = po + pgd
P = F/A
F = pA

The Attempt at a Solution

So do I find the total pressure and then multiply it be the area? I get a really big number (2.00 x 10 ^ 8) which doesn't seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No I don't think so cause it is worded differently and in our class they are all worded the same just different numbers...but that's weird its almost identical!

yea that answer isn't right...I just tried it :(

does anyone know how to do this?

Sorry - I thought your comment meant you had solved it!
The area of the window is A = pi r^2
There is a column of water on top of it 147m high
So the volume of water sitting on the window is V = pi r^2 * depth
Add the density of water and you get the mass of water on the window.

V = pi * (0.127/2)^2 * 147 = 1.89m^3
Density is 1025 kg/m^3 so mass of water is 1900kg
Total force is F = mass * g = 18.7KN

Note there is also an extra 1 atmosphere of pressure pushing down on the surface of the water, but there is also an atmosphere of pressure inside the bell pushing out which cancel out.

thats ok...but its telling me that's incorrect?

this is the msg it gave me...
Calculate the total pressure at the given depth by adding up the atmospheric pressure (1.01e5 N/m2) plus the pressure due to the sea water. This assumes that there is no air in the bell, (probably a bad assumption).

Alternate method - the weight of the column of water = m g h = 1.47MN
Area A= pi r^2 = 0.0127m^2
Force = pressure * area = 1.47MN/m^2 * 0.0127m^2 = 18.67N

EDIT - then just add atmospheric pressure to the water pressure, answer should be 20KN.

Last edited:
I'm having deja vu and amnesia at the same time...I think I've forgotten this once before.

LoL...

I don't understand I enter 0.02 N (it doesn't recognize units like KN or MN) and it says incorrect??

20 KiloNewtons ie 20,000N or 2E4 N

Related to Calculating Force on a Diving Bell Port at 147m Depth | Simple Pressure Problem

1. What is simple pressure?

Simple pressure is the force exerted by a liquid or gas on a surface. It is a result of the molecules of the substance colliding with the surface and transferring their momentum.

2. How is simple pressure calculated?

Simple pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied to an area by the area itself. The formula for simple pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What are the units of measurement for simple pressure?

The SI unit for simple pressure is pascals (Pa), which is equivalent to one newton per square meter (N/m2). Other commonly used units include pounds per square inch (psi) and atmospheres (atm).

4. How does simple pressure affect objects?

Simple pressure can cause objects to compress, expand, or change shape depending on the strength and direction of the force applied. It is also responsible for buoyancy, as objects with lower density than the surrounding fluid experience an upward force due to simple pressure.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple pressure?

Examples of simple pressure include a person's weight on the ground, the pressure of water in a swimming pool, and the air pressure in a car tire. It is also important in the functioning of hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and heavy machinery.