Calculating Force to Accelerate Mass M Without Moving m1 and m2 - Newton's Laws

• Thread starter thoff430
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force needed to accelerate a mass M in such a way that two other masses, m1 and m2, do not move relative to M. The conversation mentions using Newton's laws and drawing free body diagrams to solve the problem, but no definitive solution is provided.
thoff430
Masses on a "car"

Homework Statement

Hey.. I don't know exactly how to get the solution for this one...

We assume there are no frictions at all and we only look at the masses M, m1 and m2 (rope etc are massless)

I want to know how much force do i have to give to push M in such a way that it accelerates so fast that m1 and m2 won't move related to M?

fahrzeug_223.jpg

Homework Equations

Well... Newton is our friend ;)

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe [PLAIN]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8880/fffpw.jpg ? But I am totally not sure about this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

thoff430 said:

Homework Statement

Hey.. I don't know exactly how to get the solution for this one...

We assume there are no frictions at all and we only look at the masses M, m1 and m2 (rope etc are massless)

I want to know how much force do i have to give to push M in such a way that it accelerates so fast that m1 and m2 won't move related to M?

fahrzeug_223.jpg

Homework Equations

Well... Newton is our friend ;)

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe [PLAIN]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8880/fffpw.jpg ? But I am totally not sure about this...
Neither am I, since I don't know where this equation comes from. Note that since there is no movement of the masses m1 and m2 with respect to M, then all masses must have the same acceleration in the x direction, and no acceleration in the y direction. Draw free body diagrams, identify the forces acting, and use Newton's 3 laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Force to Accelerate Mass M Without Moving m1 and m2 - Newton's Laws

1. How do you calculate the force required to accelerate mass M without moving m1 and m2?

The force required to accelerate mass M without moving m1 and m2 can be calculated using the formula F = M * a, where F is the force, M is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the force applied to an object increases, its acceleration will also increase.

3. Can the force be calculated without knowing the mass?

No, the force cannot be calculated without knowing the mass. The mass of an object is a crucial factor in determining the force required to accelerate it.

4. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion apply to this scenario?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this scenario, the force required to accelerate mass M will also result in an equal and opposite force on the other two masses (m1 and m2).

5. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, this concept has many real-world applications in areas such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. For example, this concept is used in designing rocket propulsion systems and calculating the force needed to lift heavy objects with cranes.