Calculating Forces and Speed in a Sprinter's 100m Dash

In summary, the conversation discusses the 100-m dash and a 60-kg sprinter's acceleration and speed during the race. The question asks for the horizontal component of force exerted on the runner's feet and her speed during the last 70m. The solution involves using equations for constant acceleration and solving for the unknown variables of acceleration, speed, and time.
hkhero
The 100-m dash can be run by the best sprinters in 10.0s. A 60-kg sprinter accelerates uniformly for the first 30m to reach her top speed, which she maintains for the remaining 70m. (a) what is the horizontal component of force exerted on her feet by the ground during the acceleration? (b) what is the speed of the sprinter over the last 70m of the race (i.e , her top speed)

(a) = 170N
i jux do not get question a, can u guyz tell me wt formula i should use so that i can solve a?

Physics news on Phys.org
With constant acceleration, a, an object can increase its speed from 0 to vf in t seconds according to vf= at (That's just the definition: 'acceleration = change is speed divided by t, a= v/t, multiplied by t). During that time, the object will have moved distance x= (a/2)t2.

You are told that an object (the runner) has constant acceleration while moving a distance 30m. Okay, 30= (a/2)t2 but you don't yet know a or t. If you had been told the speed at the end of those 30 m, you could use v= at to get a second equation to solve for those two "unknowns", but you aren't so you now have two equation in three "unknowns". I assume that this sprinter completes the entire 100 m in the 10.0 s given.
Running at constant speed v, a runner goes a distance x= vt in time t. Letting t' be the time that the runner takes for the final 70 m, we have 70= vt'. Since the total time for the 100 m is t+ t'= 10.0 s, t'= 10- t and that equation is 70= (10-t)v.

You know have:
(a/2)t2= 30
v= at
(10-t)v= 70
three equations in the three "unknowns", a, v, t.
For (A), once you know a, you can use F= ma (here, m= 60 kg.)
Part (B) asks for v.

thz there, but i really dun get how can u solve for the unknown there; i can't even solve for one... which one should i solve first?

You solve the three equations simultaneously. For example you can substitute the fact that v = at into the last equation to get it in terms of a and t only. Then you substitute in that at^2 = 60 into the new equation and you can solve for at, which is your value for v. Then you do some more substitution to solve for the other variables.

Related to Calculating Forces and Speed in a Sprinter's 100m Dash

1. What is the difference between motion and force?

Motion refers to an object's change in position over time, while force is any interaction that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion.

2. How do you calculate an object's acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its motion?

The mass of an object is a measure of its inertia, or resistance to change in motion. The greater the mass, the more force is required to accelerate the object.

5. What is the relationship between force and motion?

Force and motion are directly related. An object will accelerate in the direction of the net force acting upon it. If the forces are balanced, there will be no change in motion (Newton's first law). If the forces are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the greater force (Newton's second law).