Calculating Forces in Elevator: Rest, Up 3m/s, Down 4m/s2, Up 4m/s2

• Thread starter science_rules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: If I squeeze the balloon, the water will start to go up the balloon. That's what we call the normal force. The normal force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object. In this case, the surface of the balloon is the floor of the elevator, and the force is the pressure of the water against the balloon. In summary, a 60 kg person is standing in an elevator. The net force on the person is zero because the normal force (the pressure of the water against the balloon) is not equal to zero.
science_rules

Homework Statement

A 60 kg person is standing in an elevator. Calculate each one of the forces acting on the person while the elevator is: a) at rest, b) moving up with a constant velocity of 3m/s,
c) accelerating down at 4m/s^2, d) accelerating up at 4m/s^2.

Homework Equations

Force = mass times acceleration. I am not exactly sure what "each one" is supposed to imply, i just know that for the first one, the net force is zero. i also know that the normal force is equal to the weight of an object, W= mg, when the object is in equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure what formulas/figures to use in order to show each one of the forces for each situtation. should i write F= 0 for the forces in the first example? such as: F_normal = 0, for the force of the elevator down, F_g = 0 for the force of gravity, and then F_net = 0 for the net force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do a sum of forces, fill in the knowns, and solve for the unknowns. Keep the equation F = ma in mind.

I'll give you a second hint. If the elevator is moving at a constant velocity (for part b), what is the acceleration?

science_rules said:

Homework Statement

A 60 kg person is standing in an elevator. Calculate each one of the forces acting on the person while the elevator is: a) at rest, b) moving up with a constant velocity of 3m/s,
c) accelerating down at 4m/s^2, d) accelerating up at 4m/s^2.

Homework Equations

Force = mass times acceleration. I am not exactly sure what "each one" is supposed to imply, i just know that for the first one, the net force is zero. i also know that the normal force is equal to the weight of an object, W= mg, when the object is in equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure what formulas/figures to use in order to show each one of the forces for each situtation. should i write F= 0 for the forces in the first example? such as: F_normal = 0, for the force of the elevator down, F_g = 0 for the force of gravity, and then F_net = 0 for the net force?
I think it's best if we start working through each one of these questions in turn and discuss any questions as we go.

So for part (a), name all the forces acting on person and specify their value.

the sum of forces would something like: Fg + Fn?
the accleration for constant velocity would be zero

okay-for part a: the forces acting are the force of gravity down, and the force of the elevator pushing up on the person. both would be zero i think, because it is at rest (net force is zero)

science_rules said:
both would be zero i think, because it is at rest (net force is zero)

Ok, be careful there... what do you mean by "both?"

oops i mean the force of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

the force of gravity pushing down on the person is 9.8m/s^2, and the force of the elevator pushing up on the person is zero. The net force is zero i think.

science_rules said:
the force of gravity pushing down on the person is 9.8m/s^2, and the force of the elevator pushing up on the person is zero. The net force is zero i think.

Incorrect. Force = ma. You claimed that Force = a in your first statement. Fix that.

You're right that the net force is zero, but write that mathematically. If you do that, you'll find that the normal force CANNOT equal zero.

im still confused about this. I am not sure how to write it even though i have notes from class. i know that Fg = mg, and -Fg + Ft = -ma but the t stands for tension which doesn't apply to this problem. what the heck is the normal force really and what does it have to do with the F= ma?

this makes no sense, how can you add two things which don't equal zero, and get a net force of zero??

science_rules said:
this makes no sense, how can you add two things which don't equal zero, and get a net force of zero??

Ok, forget forces. What's 3 + (-3)?

zero. would it have something to do with: -1Newton and + 1Newton?

science_rules said:
zero. would it have something to do with: -1Newton and + 1Newton?

You're on the right track. Keep in mind that force is a vector, not a scalar. What that means is it has direction. If you have a force going straight up and a force going straight down with the same magnitude, the vector sum will be zero.

Now what's pushing upwards? Well, you asked "what's a normal force." I find it hard to believe it wasn't taught in class, but I'll give you an example.

Lets say you have a book sitting on the table with a mass of 1 kg. The force of gravity is pulling down on that book with a force of 9.8 Newtons. What's keeping that book from falling?

the table is. Is that the normal force? would it be 1 Newt.? 9.8m/s^2 = 1 N right?
then Fg= mg and Fg + Fn = 1 N - 1N = 0 = net force?
mg = weight which is 60 kg times 0
force = ma 60 kg times -9.8 m/s^2

oops 9.8 m/s^2 times 1 kg = 9.8 Newtons = Fg

so would it be (588 Newtons -588 Newtons) = 0 net force because mg - ma =
weight - force I am still confused the stupid ma and mg

Fnet = ma
Wa + (-Wa) = ma = 0 (apparent weight) for at rest
and, Wa = W = 588 Newtons
velocity = 0
accel. = 0

im still confused the stupid ma and mg

Keep in mind that g is just an acceleration. Nothing special about it.

Anyway, it looks like you've got the basic idea down for the first problem. You'll probably need to write it out stating specifically what each force is, but it looks like you've got it.

Keep in mind there exist more forces than just gravity, tension, and normal force. There's friction, you can push or pull something... It helps to draw a picture with all the force vectors acting on the object. This is called a "Free Body Diagram." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_body_diagram

Last edited:
i think i understand how to find the forces now. the Fnet = Fg + Fa and Fg(force of gravtity)) = mg = 60kg times 9.8 m/s^2 = 58.8 kg m/s^2
F = ma = 60kg times 0 m/s^2 = 0 N (force of elevator)
so, Fnet = 58.8 kg m/s^2 + 0 = 58.8 kg m/s^2 Net force

for a constant velocity, it is the same.
for an acceleration down of 4 m/s^2, F =ma= 60 kg times 4 m/s^2 = 240 N
Fnet = mg - ma = 58.8 kg m/s^2 - 240N = 34.8 kg m/s^2

for an acceleration up of 4m/s^2, F = ma = 60 kg times 4 m/s^2
and Fnet = mg + ma = 58.8 kg m/s^2 + 240 N = 82.8 kg m/s^2
i hope i did that stuff right

Related to Calculating Forces in Elevator: Rest, Up 3m/s, Down 4m/s2, Up 4m/s2

1. What is the formula for calculating the force in an elevator at rest?

The formula for calculating the force in an elevator at rest is F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the elevator, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate the force in an elevator moving up at a constant speed of 3m/s?

To calculate the force in an elevator moving up at a constant speed of 3m/s, you would use the same formula as for an elevator at rest, F = mg. The only difference is that the value of g would be slightly less due to the upward acceleration of the elevator.

3. What is the force in an elevator moving down at an acceleration of 4m/s^2?

The force in an elevator moving down at an acceleration of 4m/s^2 can be calculated using the formula F = mg - ma, where m is the mass of the elevator, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the elevator. In this case, the force would be greater than the force when the elevator is at rest, as there is an additional downward acceleration.

4. How does the force change in an elevator moving up at an acceleration of 4m/s^2?

The force in an elevator moving up at an acceleration of 4m/s^2 would be greater than the force at rest or at a constant speed, as there is an additional upward acceleration. The force can be calculated using the same formula as for an elevator moving down, F = mg + ma, but with a positive value for acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between the force and acceleration in an elevator?

The force and acceleration in an elevator have a direct relationship. This means that as the acceleration of the elevator increases, the force also increases. Additionally, the direction of the acceleration (up or down) will affect the direction of the force in the elevator.