Calculating Forces on Steel Barbell & Trash Compactor - Pressure Questions

• Thread starter jkd989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a bodybuilder holding a 35-kg steel barbell above her head would have to exert a significant amount of force if the barbell were lifted underwater. In the hydraulic press problem, with a height difference between the input piston and output plunger being negligible, an input force of 300 N would result in a much larger force being applied to the trash. For the last two problems on a worksheet, the first involves finding the buoyancy of a barbell using Archimedes' principle, while the second involves calculating the weight of displaced fluid based on the mass densities of steel and water.
jkd989
A bodybuilder is holding a 35-kg steel barbell above her head. How much force would she have to exert if the barbell were lifted underwater?

In the hydraulic press used in a trash compactor, the radii of the input piston and the output plunger are 6.1 10-3 m and 4.5 10-2, respectively. If the height difference between the input piston and the output plunger can be neglected, what force is applied to the trash when the input force is 300 N?

Please answer these questions for me, they are the last two problems on my 100 problem worksheet that is due tomorrow. I have literally spent the past two hours trying to find the answers for these and i really need a good grade...Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
My problem for the first one is that i can't find any formulas or theories in my textbook that explain the situation. I answered the second problem what i think is correctly so please ignore that part.

Buoyancy: find the buoyancy of the barbell.

ok archimedes' principle states that the magnitude of buoyant force=weight of displaced fluid. But How can i have any idea what the weight of the displaced fluid is?

I also know that the mass density of steel is 7860 kg/m^3, while the mass density of water is 1000 kg/m^3

nevermind i solved it

Related to Calculating Forces on Steel Barbell & Trash Compactor - Pressure Questions

1. How do you calculate the force on a steel barbell?

The force on a steel barbell can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the barbell by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the weight of the barbell, which is equivalent to the force acting on it.

2. What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for pressure is force divided by the area over which the force is applied. In mathematical terms, it is written as P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. How do I calculate the force on a trash compactor?

The force on a trash compactor can be calculated by first determining the weight of the trash inside the compactor. Then, use the same formula as for the barbell - multiply the weight by the acceleration due to gravity - to find the force acting on the compactor.

4. What units are used for measuring force, weight, and pressure?

Force and weight are usually measured in Newtons (N), while pressure is measured in Pascals (Pa). However, other units such as pounds (lbs) and atmospheres (atm) are also commonly used for these measurements.

5. How does the force on a steel barbell compare to the force on a trash compactor?

The force on a steel barbell will typically be less than the force on a trash compactor, as the barbell is usually much lighter than the trash compactor. However, the force acting on both objects will depend on their respective masses and the acceleration due to gravity.