Calculating Fpush for Kinetic Friction | Coefficient of Friction Explained

In summary, to determine the force needed to accelerate the block at 5.71 m/s2, the mass of the block and the coefficients of kinetic and static friction must be known. The force must be large enough to overcome the frictional force and produce a net force resulting in the desired acceleration. More information is needed, such as the direction of the applied force and the direction of the overall force exerted by the table on the block.
Paulbird20
A sufficiently large push is given to start the block moving. After that, what magnitude Fpush must be applied to make the block accelerate to the right at 5.71 m/s2

From a previous problem we concluded that coefficient of kinetic friction is .34 and static is .43

I do not understand how to determine the blocks mass to be able to determine the Fpush needed. any tips

Physics news on Phys.org
Paulbird20 said:
I do not understand how to determine the blocks mass to be able to determine the Fpush needed. any tips

Neither do I.

Was this the exact statement of the problem? If not, can you please use the proper template for posting homework questions so that we are sure all of the pertinent information has been posted?

Mag of frictional force from the previous question was determined to be 7.4. and then the coefficients were determined. that's all the information i was given to be able to answer the question of

A sufficiently large push is given to start the block moving. After that, what magnitude Fpush must be applied to make the block accelerate to the right at 5.71 m/s2

But i think the 7.4 is from a different question and is not related to this one or maybe it is?

The fact that it says "the" block and not "a" block, suggests that it is referring to a specific block that has already been mentioned or that you already know about. Is this the next SUB-part of a one long question? If so, can you just post the whole question? Can you post it word for word, please?

If it is not a sub-part of a larger problem, then I find it very bizarre that a *stand-alone* problem would be worded in this way. What you have posted here is not enough info to determine Fpush.

you were right i did not see the information listed above the block, only thing missing is the blocks mass which is 5KG

and it also wants to know the direction of the overall force of the table onto the block.

The block is at rest on a table.

Soooo...can you now answer the problem?

-fk = ma correct?

so 5.71x5 kg = 28.55 is the force required to accelerate it at 5.71

and the table overall force is up (perpendicular to the table correct)?

Paulbird20 said:
-fk = ma correct?

Not really. The expression ma gives the NET force, which is the sum of two opposing forces, the applied force (which you are trying to calculate) and the frictional force (which you know).

Paulbird20 said:
so 5.71x5 kg = 28.55 is the force required to accelerate it at 5.71

You know that 28.55 N can't be the applied force, because if you subtract the frictional force from it to get the net force, and then divide this by 5kg, you don't get an acceleration of 5.71.

Paulbird20 said:
and the table overall force is up (perpendicular to the table correct)?

No, the table exerts two forces on the block. The overall force will be the sum of these.

FAQ: Calculating Fpush for Kinetic Friction | Coefficient of Friction Explained

1. What is the formula for calculating Fpush for kinetic friction?

The formula for calculating Fpush for kinetic friction is Fpush = μk * N, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force. It can also be found experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object at a constant velocity on a given surface.

3. What is the relationship between Fpush and the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Fpush and the coefficient of kinetic friction have a direct relationship. This means that an increase in the coefficient of kinetic friction will result in an increase in Fpush, and vice versa.

4. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be greater than 1. This occurs when the force of kinetic friction is greater than the normal force, resulting in a value greater than 1 for the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. How does the surface affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The type and texture of the surface can greatly affect the coefficient of kinetic friction. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher coefficients of kinetic friction, while smoother surfaces have lower coefficients. Additionally, the presence of lubricants or other substances can also alter the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Back