Calculating Fragment Speed in an Exploding Object

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
In summary, a 45.0-kg body moving in the positive x-axis direction at 217 m/s breaks into three pieces due to an internal explosion. One piece, with a mass of 6.0 kg, moves in the positive y-axis direction at 349 m/s, while another piece with a mass of 2.5 kg moves in the negative x-axis direction at 346 m/s. The speed of the third fragment can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, yielding 296.82 m/s. The energy released in the explosion can be calculated by finding the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the large mass and the total kinetic energy of the three fragments, resulting in 1.06x10^
chaotixmonjuish
A 45.0-kg body is moving in the direction of the positive x-axis with a speed of 217 m/s when, owing to an internal explosion, it breaks into three pieces. One part, whose mass is 6.0 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 349 m/s along the positive y axis. A second fragment, whose mass is 2.5 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 346 m/s along the negative x axis. What is the speed of the third fragment? Ignore effects due to gravity.

I noticed right away that there might be components, so I came up with this:

X direction: 45*217=2.5*-346+36.5x x=291.23
Y direction: 45*217=6.0*349+36.5y y=210.15

then i plugged those two values into the pythagorean theorem. I get 359.14 m/s, however the computer says I'm wrong. Could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Y direction: 45*217=6.0*349+36.5y y=210.15

If the object is initially moving in the x direction only, the initial momentum in the y direction is zero since there is no component of velocity in that direction.

whoops, thanks

296.82 m/s is what the corrected formula yielded.

The second part to the question is How much energy is released in the explosion? What is that exactly?

I would calculate the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the large mass, and the total kinetic energy of the three fragments after the explosion.

okay, cool

i go the right answer: 1.06x10^6 J

I was just confused about how I should treat it since it broke apart. This problem was surprisingly easy.

Related to Calculating Fragment Speed in an Exploding Object

What are exploding object fragments?

Exploding object fragments refer to small pieces of debris that are created when an object explodes. These fragments can range in size and can be made of various materials.

What causes objects to explode and create fragments?

Objects can explode due to a variety of reasons, such as high pressure, heat, or chemical reactions. When an object explodes, the force of the explosion causes it to break apart into smaller pieces, creating fragments.

Can exploding object fragments be dangerous?

Yes, exploding object fragments can be dangerous, especially if they are made of sharp or toxic materials. These fragments can cause injuries and damage to surrounding objects.

How can scientists study exploding object fragments?

Scientists can study exploding object fragments by conducting controlled experiments in a lab setting. They can also analyze fragments from real-life explosions to understand their properties and behavior.

What practical applications do exploding object fragments have?

Studying exploding object fragments can help scientists understand the mechanisms of explosions and improve safety measures in various industries. Fragment analysis can also be used in forensic investigations to determine the cause of an explosion.