Calculating Frequency for R1, L Circuit

In summary, the given circuit has an AC voltage source supplying 115 V with R1 = 3.35 kΩ and L = 39 mH. Using the formula for Irms, Vrms, and Z, we can solve for the frequency at which the rms current will be 31.33 mA. This is done by converting from ω to f and using the formula Z= (sqrt R^2 + XL^2) = (sqrt R^2 +(wL)^2). We can then solve for f using the equations Vrms,R = IrmsR and Vrms,L = IrmsXL = Irms(wL), where wL = 2pi*f*L.
rmusial91

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown, the AC voltage source supplies an rms voltage of 115 V and the circuit has R1 = 3.35 kΩ and L = 39 mH.

a) At what frequency will the rms current be 31.33 mA (milliamperes)?

Homework Equations

irms=vrms / XL

The Attempt at a Solution

Did you remember to convert from ω to f?[PLAIN]https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/Phys1202/summer/homework/Ch-23-24/RL_phase/RL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the formula relating Irms, Vrms, Z (impedance) ?
use that ...

Z= (sqrt R^2 + XL^2) = (sqrt R^2 +(wL)^2)
Vrms,R = IrmsR
Vrms,L = IrmsXL = Irms(wL)
wL= 2pi*f*L

these are the formula i used and i solve for f thanks for the help

Related to Calculating Frequency for R1, L Circuit

1. How do I calculate the frequency for an R1, L circuit?

To calculate the frequency for an R1, L circuit, you will need to use the formula: f = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henries, and C is the capacitance in Farads. Simply plug in the values for L and C and solve for f to get your answer.

2. What units are used for frequency in an R1, L circuit?

The unit for frequency in an R1, L circuit is Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate the frequency for any type of circuit?

Yes, you can use this formula to calculate the frequency for any type of circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L).

4. What is the significance of calculating frequency for an R1, L circuit?

Calculating the frequency for an R1, L circuit is important because it helps you understand the behavior of the circuit and how it will respond to different input signals. It also allows you to determine the resonant frequency, which is the frequency at which the circuit will have the highest amplitude response.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate the frequency for a circuit with multiple components?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the frequency for a circuit with only a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). For circuits with multiple components, you will need to use different formulas and techniques to calculate the frequency.