Calculating Frequency in SHM with Amplitude, Velocity, and Mass

• Thread starter izzyfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, the conversation discusses finding frequency given amplitude, velocity, and mass, using the equations of simple harmonic motion. The attempt at a solution involves using the derivative of the SHM equation and calculating the spring constant using F=-K(xo-xf). However, the correct method is uncertain and may depend on the orientation of the spring.
izzyfish
I feel like an idiot for not being able to answer this question, it seemed so simple yet so complicated in my head.

Homework Statement

Have to find frequency, given the amplitude, velocity, and mass.
I don't have numbers as it was off an exam I just took. Guessing it was v=5 m/s; A=10m; and m=3kg.

Homework Equations

I was thinking of taking the derivative of the SHM eq x(t) = Asin(wt) but then I wasn't sure if I could calculate the spring constant with F = -K(xo - xf).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was guessing, but if we threw in numbers, A=10m, v=5m/s, m=3kg...
x(t) = A * sin(wt)
w = 2 * PI * f
x(t) = A * sin(2 * PI * f * t)
v(t) = 2 * PI * f * A * cos(2 * PI * f * t)
t = 0
5 = 2 * PI * f * 10 * cos(2 * PI * f * 0)
5 = 2 * PI * f * 10 * 1
5 = 20 * PI * f
5 / (20 * PI) = f
f = 0.0795Hz

or..

F=-K(x-xo)
F = 3*9.8 = 29.4
x = 10
xo = 0
K = 2.94 N/m
f = (1 /( 2 * PI )) * sqrt( k / m)
f = 0.159 * sqrt (2.94 / 3 )
f = 0.1576 Hz

Would love to know the correct way to do this, as I'm confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
Using F=kx would depend on how the spring is orientated. But I would use your first method.

FAQ: Calculating Frequency in SHM with Amplitude, Velocity, and Mass

What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which refers to the back-and-forth movement of a system around a central equilibrium point, caused by a restoring force.

What is the formula for finding F in SHM?

The formula for finding F in SHM is F = -kx, where k represents the force constant and x represents the displacement from equilibrium.

How do I calculate F in SHM with given values of A, v, and m?

To calculate F in SHM, you can use the formula F = mω^2A, where m represents the mass of the system, ω represents the angular frequency (ω = 2πf), and A represents the amplitude of the motion.

What is the relationship between F and A in SHM?

In SHM, the force (F) is directly proportional to the amplitude (A) of the motion. This means that as the amplitude increases, the force also increases.

Can I use SHM to describe any type of motion?

No, SHM is only applicable to systems with a linear restoring force, meaning that the force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Other types of motion may require different equations or models.

Back