Calculating frictional force on a block with different upward forces

In summary, the coefficients of friction for a 2.50 kg block on a horizontal surface are μs = 0.4 and μk = 0.25. When a horizontal force of magnitude 6.71 N and a vertical force P are applied to the block, the maximum static frictional force is 7N, indicating that the block will not move. However, the actual frictional force is equal to the applied force, 6.71 N, since it is insufficient to overcome the maximum static friction.
rockchalk1312
A 2.50 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. A horizontal force F of magnitude 6.71 N and a vertical force P are then applied to the block. The coefficients of friction for the block and surface are μs = 0.4 and μk = 0.25. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the block if the magnitude of P is (a)7.00 N and (b)10.0 N. (The upward pull is insufficient to move the block vertically.)

relevant equations:
F=ma
Fk=μkFn
Fs,max=μsFnattempt at solution:
(2.50)(9.8)=24.5-7=17.5 net weight including upward pull of 7N
(.4)(17.5)=7N so force 6.71N would not move block
(.25)(17.5)=4.375N force of 6.71N would move block
6.71N-4.375N=2.335N

On my online homework it said this was the wrong answer.

Am I confusing coefficients I'm supposed to use at certain times? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

rockchalk1312 said:
(.4)(17.5)=7N so force 6.71N would not move block
(.25)(17.5)=4.375N force of 6.71N would move block
You've already established that the force will not move the block, so you do not have to consider dynamic friction.
6.71N-4.375N=2.335N
Even if it were appropriate to consider dynamic friction, what are you calculating there? It looks like it's the excess force over dynamic friction if the block were to move. That's not what the question asks for.
Remember that normal force * coefficient of static friction tells you the maximum static frictional force. If the force applied, F, is insufficient, what is the actual frictional force?

haruspex said:
Remember that normal force * coefficient of static friction tells you the maximum static frictional force. If the force applied, F, is insufficient, what is the actual frictional force?

Wow I'm an idiot. Ok your emphasis on the word maximum helped me a lot. Just 6.71N. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating frictional force on a block with different upward forces

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface.

2. How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces.

4. How does upward force affect frictional force on a block?

An increase in upward force on a block will also increase the normal force acting on the block, which in turn will increase the frictional force between the block and the surface it is in contact with.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of frictional force on a block?

The factors that can affect the calculation of frictional force on a block include the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the surface characteristics of both the block and the surface it is in contact with.

Back