Calculating Frictional Force on a Sliding Bead

In summary: The work done by friction is the change in total mechanical energy, i.e., change in kinetic energy plus change in potential energy. In this problem, the change in kinetic energy is due to the friction slowing down the bead, and the change in potential energy is the potential energy of the bead before it starts moving. So the final answer is that the work done by friction is -0.50kg.
rkslperez04
Hey there,

I need a nudge in the right direction on two problems. Can you anyone help me out.

I will post the other question seperately in a few :)

Here we go:

1) A bead is sliding along a stiff wire track. The bead is released from rest at point A and comes to a stop (momentarily) at point B. The hieghts of these points above the horizontal are 50 cm and 30 cm, respectively. The length of the wire between then is 400 cm. If the bead is 3.0 g and the frictional force is approximatley constant throughotu the motion, find the value of the frictional force. Watch your units!

WOW... brainblower!

I take it they mean "cm" and "g" arent compatible so some conversions are needed. then... what...

I was thinking this was momentum problem..but...not sure..

can I have a nudge ??

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The most well-known value of "g" is given in m/s^2.

2. Remember that frictional force acts along the track at all points.
Big hint: Consider the work-energy theorem.

ok... gotcha... let me go work it out... :)

arildno said:
1. The most well-known value of "g" is given in m/s^2.

2. Remember that frictional force acts along the track at all points.
Big hint: Consider the work-energy theorem.

Isn't 3.0g mean the mass of the bead, thus, 0.003kg?

bkvitha said:
Isn't 3.0g mean the mass of the bead, thus, 0.003kg?
True enough, but you should have understood that what I meant by g was "little g", that is the acceleration due to gravity.

Hey guys,

I must be misunderstanding what the work engery therom is..

I took it to be

Wt= 1/2mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2

I don't have a velicity though?

I know the 50 cm and 30 cm come in somewhere but how would any of that give me friction?

DOn't worry about the velocity.

The bead has stopped by point B which means any kinetic energy it would otherwise have had has been lost to friction over a distance of 400cm.

How does Work relate to Force?

if you push on a wall and nothing happens then the Forces were equal, if your Work applied to the wall overcomes the Force you bust through it like superman.

and the bead starts and stops...

then

start & stop
KE + PE = KE + PE
0 + mgh1 = 1/2mv^2 + mgh2

? I bet am I soo far off!

Last edited:
rkslperez04 said:
if you push on a wall and nothing happens then the Forces were equal, if your Work applied to the wall overcomes the Force you bust through it like superman.

and the bead starts and stops...

then

start & stop
KE + PE = KE + PE
0 + mgh1 = 1/2mv^2 + mgh2

? I bet am I soo far off!
Energy is NOT conserved when friction forces do work. Your equation applies only when energy is conserved. This is not the work-energy theorem.
You also noted earlier that
Wt= 1/2mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2. This is also a misapplication of the work energy theorem, since this one represents total net work done by all forces, including gravity and friction. You're interested in the work done by friction. So the question is, how must you apply the work energy theorem to get what you are looking for? Hint: Work done by friction is the change in total mechanical energy, i.e., change in kinetic energy plus change in potential energy, and since it has been established that there is no change in kinetic energy, then what does this tell you?

ok.. The frictional force on the beads will actually change the KE making it slower or faster depending on how much friction is applied. Since the bead comes to a rest lower then the initail position.. the friction must be high.. so how much work is being done on the bead to slow it down.

am I getting close?

would that be the to TME = TMi + Work

Last edited:
rkslperez04 said:
ok.. The frictional force on the beads will actually change the KE making it slower or faster depending on how much friction is applied. Since the bead comes to a rest lower then the initail position.. the friction must be high.. so how much work is being done on the bead to slow it down.

am I getting close?

would that be the to TME = TMi + Work
Well, closer, I guess, but still off. Friction will slow its speed, but so might gravity. When you throw a ball straight up, it slows down to nothing at the top of its flight, even without friction or air resistance. This particular problem has a roller coaster type track that dips down and up, but you don't need to know that. You just have to apply the equation i hinted at to solve for the work done by friction, then apply the definition of work to calculate the friction force. Give it one more try...

okk.. I think I get it

We are dealing with nothing but Potential engery and the work along the string,

soo...

PE = PE - W

rkslperez04 said:
okk.. I think I get it

We are dealing with nothing but Potential engery and the work along the string,

soo...

PE = PE - W
Ok, watch your subscripts
[tex]W_f = PE_f - PE_i[/tex]

Gotcha..

I did take it a step farther in my notes.. didnt post it here by mistake.. but we had to move variables around solve for what the question was asking for.

thanks for walking me through this :)

Related to Calculating Frictional Force on a Sliding Bead

What is frictional force nudge?

Frictional force nudge is a term used to describe the force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and resist motion. It is caused by the roughness and irregularities of the surfaces and can act in the opposite direction of an object's motion.

What are some examples of frictional force nudge?

Some common examples of frictional force nudge include the force between a car's tires and the road, the force between two pieces of sandpaper, and the force between a pencil and paper when writing.

What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force nudge?

The magnitude of frictional force nudge is affected by the types of surfaces involved, the force applied to the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances that can reduce or increase friction.

How does frictional force nudge impact everyday life?

Frictional force nudge plays a crucial role in many aspects of everyday life, such as transportation, sports, and manufacturing. It helps us walk, drive, and stop our cars, and allows us to grip objects and move them around.

Can frictional force nudge be reduced or eliminated?

Frictional force nudge can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces, but it cannot be completely eliminated. In some cases, it may be desirable to increase frictional force, such as in the case of brakes on a car or the grip on a tennis racket.