Calculating general normal random probability

In summary, the conversation discusses using the standard normal table to find probabilities for different values of X, given a normal distribution with a mean of 20 and standard deviation of 5. The first part calculates P(X<18) using the formula (18-20)/sqrt25, which results in -0.4. Then, using the standard normal table, it is found that P(X<18)=0.3446. The second part calculates P(X>27) using the formula (27-20)/5, resulting in 1.4. Then, P(Z>1.4) and P(Z<-1.4) are also calculated to be 0.0808. Finally, the third part calculates the probability
Biochemgirl2002
Homework Statement
Suppose X ~ N(20, 25). Determine the following
probabilities.
(A) P(X < 18)
(B) P(X > 27)
(C) P(13 < X < 23)
Relevant Equations
if X~N(mean, standard deviation squared) then,
z=(x-mean)/(standard deviation)~N(0,1)
a) P(X<18) = (18-20)/sqrt25
=-2/5
=-0.4
then you use the standard normal table and find that;
P(X<18)=0.3446

b) P(X>27)
= (27-20)/5
= 7/5
= 1.4

P(Z>1.4)
=P(Z<-1.4)
=0.0808

C) =(13<X<23)
=13-20/5 , 23-20/5
=-7/5 , 3/5
=-1.4 , 0.6

P(Z<0.6)-P(Z<-1.4)
=0.7257-0.0808
=0.6449

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, what is your question? Do you want us to double-check your work?

WWGD said:
Sorry, what is your question? Do you want us to double-check your work?

Yes, sorry. I am not sure that i have done the right steps.
Mainly my issue is because the question says X~N(20,25) and i am not sure if i am to assume that the mean is 20 and the standard deviation squared is 25.
as well, my other concern is that the equation isn't the standard deviation squared, so as you can see in my results, i square rooted the 25 so that it is only 5 which i believe makes sense.

thank you for your time!

Related to Calculating general normal random probability

1. How do I calculate the probability of a normal random variable falling within a certain range?

To calculate the probability of a normal random variable falling within a certain range, you will need to use the standard normal distribution table or a calculator that can compute normal probabilities. You will also need to know the mean and standard deviation of the normal distribution. Once you have this information, you can use the z-score formula to convert the range of values into a standard score, which can then be looked up on the standard normal distribution table to find the corresponding probability.

2. What is the difference between cumulative and non-cumulative probabilities in normal distribution?

Cumulative probabilities in normal distribution refer to the probability of a random variable falling below a certain value. Non-cumulative probabilities, on the other hand, refer to the probability of a random variable falling within a specific range. Cumulative probabilities are often used to calculate the area under the normal curve, while non-cumulative probabilities are used to find the probability of a specific event occurring within a range of values.

3. Can I use the normal distribution to calculate probabilities for non-normal data?

The normal distribution can only be used to calculate probabilities for data that follows a normal distribution. If your data is not normally distributed, you can try to transform it into a normal distribution or use other statistical methods to calculate probabilities.

4. How do I interpret the results of a normal probability calculation?

The result of a normal probability calculation is a decimal number between 0 and 1, which represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range. This number can be interpreted as a percentage, where 0% represents no chance of the event occurring and 100% represents certainty that the event will occur.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating general normal random probability?

Calculating general normal random probability is commonly used in statistics and data analysis to make predictions and decisions about real-world phenomena. Some examples of its applications include predicting stock prices, estimating risk in insurance and finance, and analyzing the results of scientific experiments.