Calculating Gravitational Force at Different Distances from Earth's Center

In summary, the force of gravity on an astronaut at Earth's surface is 634N, while on the same person at different distances from the center of Earth is 10N, 17.2N, and 25.7N.
oMovements

Homework Statement

The force of gravity at Earth's surface on an astronaut is 634N. What is the force of gravity on the same person at each of the following distances, in multiples of Earth's radius, from the centre of Earth?
a) 2 b)5 c)10 d)17.2

I have no idea how to solve this, can someone please point me in the right direction of how to solve this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that this is a problem involving Newton's law of universal gravitation:

F=(g x mass 1 x mass 2) / (r^2) with g being the gravitational constant, 6.67 x 10^-11.
You can solve for the astronaut's mass, and use this equation (assuming the Earth's mass and radius as given, just look this up) to solve for the force of gravity on the astronaut.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only another AP Physics student.

Last edited:
You don't need Earth's mass and radius and also G.
We have F=GM1M2/R2

As according to your problem M1 and M2 are not going to change

Use F is inversely proportional to R2

F1/F2=R22/R12

nil1996 said:
You don't need Earth's mass and radius and also G.
We have F=GM1M2/R2

As according to your problem M1 and M2 are not going to change

Use F is inversely proportional to R2

F1/F2=R22/R12

I don't understand how you came up with that equation.

oMovements said:
I don't understand how you came up with that equation.

F=GMearthMman/R2

Now according to the problem it is asked to find the force on the man when its distance from the center of Earth is 2R,4R...etc

So in the formula GMearthMman/R2 we are going to change the distance R.Right?

As everything else in the formula is going to remain constant except R
We can say that F is dirctly proportional to 1/R1

so let F1 be the force of gravity on the man at a distance R from the centre of earth.
Let F2 be the force of gravity on the man at a distance R2 from the centre of earth.

So F1=GMearthMman/R2....1
F2=GMearthMman/(R1)2......2

divide equation 1 by 2 you will get my formula.

For your firsr problem R1=2R and F1=634

put in the above equation you will get F2

Last edited:
nil1996 said:
F=GMearthMman/R2

Now according to the problem it is asked to find the force on the man when its distance from the center of Earth is 2R,4R...etc

So in the formula GMearthMman/R2 we are going to change the distance R.Right?

As everything else in the formula is going to remain constant except R
We can say that F is dirctly proportional to 1/R1

so let F1 be the force of gravity on the man at a distance R from the centre of earth.
Let F2 be the force of gravity on the man at a distance R2 from the centre of earth.

So F1=GMearthMman/R2....1
F2=GMearthMman/(R1)2......2

divide equation 1 by 2 you will get my formula.

For your firsr problem R1=2R and F1=634

put in the above equation you will get F2

Please don't post complete solutions. Just give the questioner a nudge in the right direction.

haruspex said:
Please don't post complete solutions. Just give the questioner a nudge in the right direction.

Oh,sorry for that.I will take care next time.

Related to Calculating Gravitational Force at Different Distances from Earth's Center

1. What is gravitational attraction?

Gravitational attraction is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. This force is what keeps objects, like planets, in orbit around larger objects, like the sun.

2. How does gravitational attraction work?

Gravitational attraction works based on the principle of mass and distance. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. The closer two objects are to each other, the stronger their gravitational attraction will be.

3. What is the formula for gravitational attraction?

The formula for gravitational attraction is F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. How does the distance between objects affect gravitational attraction?

The distance between two objects directly affects the strength of their gravitational attraction. As the distance between two objects increases, the force of attraction decreases. This is known as the inverse square law.

5. How does the mass of an object affect gravitational attraction?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with larger masses will have a greater gravitational attraction to other objects compared to objects with smaller masses.