Calculating Heat Dissipation in a Circuit with Capacitors

In summary, when the switch is shifted from position 1 to 2, the charge on the right cap is Q(+Q on bottom plate) , on middle be Q-Q1(-Q+Q1 on bottom plate) and Q1(-Q1 on bottom plate) on left plate. The charge on the left cap is Q1(-Q1 on bottom plate). The equation to calculate the amount of heat generated is: Heat dissipated = Work done by battery - Change of energy stored in the capacitors. The equation to calculate the amount of heat generated is: Heat dissipated = (Q-Q1)V. The equation to calculate the amount of heat generated is: Heat dissipated = V2CC0/(2
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

How much heat is generated in the circuit after the switch is shifted from position 1 to 2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the charge on the right cap be Q(+Q on bottom plate) , on middle be Q-Q1(-Q+Q1 on bottom plate) and Q1(-Q1 on bottom plate) on left plate .

Ceq = C(C+C0)/(2C+C0)

Q=VC(C+C0)/(2C+C0)

Q1=VC/(2C+C0)

Q-Q1 = VCC0/(2C+C0)

Now when the switch is at position1,charge on the bottom plate of left cap is -Q1 and after the switch is moved to position 2 charge is -Q i.e charge Q-Q1 has flown through the battery .In other words negative charge of magnitude Q-Q1 flows from positive to negative terminal of battery(current flows from negative to positive terminal) i.e work done by battery is (Q-Q1)V .

Work done by battery = Change of energy stored in the capacitors + heat dissipated .

So,heat dissipated = Work done by battery - Change of energy stored in the capacitors .

Change of energy stored in the capacitors will be zero .

Heat dissipated = Work done by battery = (Q-Q1)V = V2CC0/(2C+C0) .

Is the answer correct ?

Have I approached the problem correctly ?

Attachments

• capacitor.GIF
    capacitor.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right to me.

Likes 1 person
Yes. Any finite battery resistance will dissipate the same amount of energy. Interesting problem.
(I did not check the delta stored energy).

Likes 1 person
Thanks haruspex and rude man .

Do you agree that if the switch were initially at position 2 and moved from position 2 to 1 then in that case also the result obtained in the OP would remain same ?

I haven't checked all the math but the approach seems correct. The equation you provided for Q1 is missing something. The units don't match.

Tanya Sharma said:
Thanks haruspex and rude man .

Do you agree that if the switch were initially at position 2 and moved from position 2 to 1 then in that case also the result obtained in the OP would remain same ?

Yes, it's symmetric.

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs .

Related to Calculating Heat Dissipation in a Circuit with Capacitors

1. What is "heat generated in the circuit"?

Heat generated in the circuit refers to the energy that is dissipated in the form of heat as electric current flows through a circuit component.

2. How is heat generated in a circuit?

Heat is generated in a circuit through the resistance of the circuit components. As the electric current flows through a component, it encounters resistance, which causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat energy.

3. Why is heat generated in a circuit a concern?

Heat generated in a circuit can lead to overheating, which can damage the circuit components and potentially cause a fire. It can also decrease the efficiency of the circuit and waste energy.

4. How can heat generated in a circuit be reduced?

Heat generated in a circuit can be reduced by using components with lower resistance, increasing the size of the components, or implementing cooling systems such as fans or heat sinks. Proper circuit design and layout can also help to reduce heat generation.

5. How is heat dissipated in a circuit?

Heat generated in a circuit is dissipated through the surrounding air or through cooling systems. In some cases, heat may also be conducted through the circuit board and dissipated through the chassis of the device.