Calculating Heat Generated from Capacitors

• Thread starter cupid.callin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the three questions asked about how heat is generated in different ways. The first question asked about a capacitor and how heat is generated when the voltage across the plates increases. The second question asked about a capacitor and how heat is generated when the current flows backwards. The third question asked about a capacitor and how heat is generated when the battery is disconnected and then reconnected to a smaller capacitor.
cupid.callin
I was studying capacitors when I came across these three questions:
Please refer the jpg with the topic.

Note: I wrote the quoted text before I realized I could post the pic of questions … but I had written all this anyway and didn’t wanted it to go to waste … so I posed it anyway!

1st: A parallel plate capacitor is connected with a battery and after it is fully charged the separation b/w the plates is increased, --- of course capacitance decrease and charge flows backwards --- I am supposed to find heat generated in the process …

2nd: A capacitor is charged to some voltage V and then disconnected from it and connected to another battery of voltage V’ (<V) … so this time the current flows backwards … question is again to calculate the heat.

3rd: this time a capacitor is connected to a battery, removed after long time, connected to a capacitor of smaller capacitance! And again I need to calculate the heat generated!

Answer to 1st=
1st= 0
2st= 7.2 mJ
3st= 1.77 mJ

Now…
How am I supposed to know how to find the heat generated? What basis do I use… well my questions are insane I know... but just because I have no idea what to do!
Please help me find a way to find heat generated … not only for these cases but also for any other random case!

Attachments

• Ques1.jpg
    Ques1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Ques2.jpg
    Ques2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 420
  • Ques3.jpg
    Ques3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
To start, note that the energy stored in a capacitor (of a given, constant capacitance C and voltage V) is
E = ½CV2.​
You'll have to use this equation a little differently for each part of the problem. But essentially, it means finding the equivalent capacitance before and after; and also finding the voltage across the equivalent terminals, before and after. Then compare the energies before and after.

But for Ques 3 work done on battery will be QV'
Shouldn't that be heat produced?

Well I'll try what u said and get back if it works!

Thanks for help

Hello,

Calculating the heat generated from capacitors involves using the formula Q = CV^2/2, where Q is the heat generated, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. This formula can be used for all three of the scenarios you mentioned.

For the first scenario, where the separation between the plates is increased after the capacitor is fully charged, the capacitance decreases and the charge flows backwards. In this case, you can use the formula Q = (C1 - C2)V^2/2, where C1 is the initial capacitance and C2 is the final capacitance. The difference in capacitance represents the amount of charge that has flowed backwards, and this can be used in the formula to calculate the heat generated.

For the second scenario, where the capacitor is initially charged to voltage V and then disconnected and connected to a lower voltage V', the formula Q = (V - V')^2/2C can be used. This represents the difference in voltage and the initial capacitance, which will determine the amount of charge that flows backwards and thus the heat generated.

For the third scenario, where the capacitor is connected to a battery, removed after a long time, and then connected to a capacitor of smaller capacitance, you can use the formula Q = (C1 - C2)V^2/2, where C1 is the initial capacitance and C2 is the final capacitance. Again, the difference in capacitance represents the amount of charge that has flowed backwards and can be used to calculate the heat generated.

In general, when calculating the heat generated from capacitors, you will need to know the initial and final capacitance, the difference in voltage, and the formula Q = CV^2/2. I hope this helps you in solving your problems and understanding how to calculate heat generated from capacitors.

FAQ: Calculating Heat Generated from Capacitors

1. How do capacitors generate heat?

Capacitors generate heat through the process of charging and discharging. When a capacitor is charged, it stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field between its two plates. When the capacitor is discharged, this energy is released in the form of heat as the electric field collapses.

2. Why is it important to calculate the heat generated from capacitors?

Calculating the heat generated from capacitors is important for several reasons. It helps in designing and selecting the appropriate capacitors for a specific application, as well as determining the maximum safe operating temperature. It also aids in predicting and preventing potential overheating issues that can damage the capacitor or surrounding components.

3. What are the factors that affect the amount of heat generated by a capacitor?

The amount of heat generated by a capacitor depends on several factors, including the capacitance value, voltage rating, and frequency of the electrical signal passing through it. The size and type of capacitor also play a role, as well as external factors such as ambient temperature and airflow.

4. How do you calculate the heat generated from a capacitor?

The heat generated from a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV² where Q is the heat generated in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. This formula can be modified to include other factors such as frequency and temperature, depending on the specific application.

5. Can heat generated from capacitors be harmful?

Yes, heat generated from capacitors can be harmful if it exceeds the safe operating temperature of the capacitor. This can lead to decreased performance and reliability of the capacitor, as well as the potential for failure and damage to surrounding components. It is important to carefully calculate and manage the heat generated from capacitors to ensure safe and efficient operation.

Back