Calculating Heat Loss through 1m Glass Pane - 15oC Difference

• Thread starter luigihs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conduction
In summary, the heat loss through a 1m square pane of 6 mm thick glass for a temperature difference of 15oC can be determined by using the thermal conductivity of glass (k = 0.72 W m^-1 K^-1) and calculating the rate of heat loss using the formula 0.72W m^-1 K^-1 x 1 m^2 x 15oC / (6x10^-3 m). This 6x10^-3 m refers to the conversion of 6mm to meters.
luigihs

Determine the heat loss through a 1m square pane of 6 mm thick glass for a temperature difference of 15oC.
Thermal conductivity of glass is k = 0.72 W m^-1 K^-1
Solution
Rate of loss of heat = 0.72W m^-1 K^-1 x 1 m^2 x 15oC/(6x10^-3 m )
<--- Ok so I understand everything but I don't understand where my teacher gets 6x10^-3 ?? is not in the question that number.

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
luigihs said:

Determine the heat loss through a 1m square pane of 6 mm thick glass for a temperature difference of 15oC.
Thermal conductivity of glass is k = 0.72 W m^-1 K^-1
Solution
Rate of loss of heat = 0.72W m^-1 K^-1 x 1 m^2 x 15oC/(6x10^-3 m )
<--- Ok so I understand everything but I don't understand where my teacher gets 6x10^-3 ?? is not in the question that number.

Please help me

What is 6mm in meters?

gneill said:
What is 6mm in meters?

Cheers! I'm so stupid

Related to Calculating Heat Loss through 1m Glass Pane - 15oC Difference

What is the formula for calculating heat loss through 1m glass pane?

The formula for calculating heat loss through 1m glass pane is Q = U * A * ΔT, where Q is the heat loss in watts, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the area in square meters, and ΔT is the temperature difference in degrees Celsius.

What is the overall heat transfer coefficient?

The overall heat transfer coefficient, also known as U-value, is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred through a material. It takes into account the thermal properties and thickness of the material, as well as the surrounding temperature and air flow.

How do I determine the U-value for a 1m glass pane?

The U-value for a 1m glass pane can be determined by consulting a table of standard U-values for different types of glass or by using a U-value calculator. It can also be calculated using the thermal conductivity and thickness of the glass.

What is the temperature difference used in the heat loss formula?

The temperature difference, represented by ΔT, is the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius and is a key factor in determining the rate of heat transfer through a material.

How does the thickness of the glass pane affect heat loss?

The thickness of the glass pane can affect heat loss by influencing the overall heat transfer coefficient. Thicker panes may have a lower U-value and thus result in less heat loss, while thinner panes may have a higher U-value and allow for more heat to pass through.