Calculating Heat Transfer from a Person in a Room

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about determining the total rate of heat transfer from a person standing in a room with specific temperature conditions. The conversation includes calculations and confusion about the correct answer, with one person getting 219.13 W and the other getting 319.9 W. The discrepancy may be due to using different temperature values in the equation.
febbie22
Hey I've got this question and the answer that is giving is 219.12 but i keep getting 319 could someone please help me out here's the question.

Consider a person standing in a room. The room air temperature is
maintained at 22OC at all times. The inner surface of the walls, floors and
the ceiling of the room are observed to be at an average temperature of
10OC.
Determine the total rate of heat transfer from this person if the exposed
surface area and the average outer surface temperature of the person
are 1.4 m2 and 30OC. Take the convective heat transfer coefficient to be
6 W/m2 OC and the emissivity of the human skin to be 0.95

any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please show your calculations? I get 219.13 W without any problems. Make sure to check your units.

cheers for replying here what i done:

Q radiation - 0.95 * 5.67*10-8 * 1.4 * ((273+30)^4 -(273+10)^4) = 151.9

Q convection - 6 * 1.4 * (30-10) = 168

Qtotal = 319.9

god knows what I am doing wrong probably something really stupid, how did you do it

cheers

Is convective heat transferred from the person directly to the walls?

i'm not really sure to be honest, how did you get 219

Convection is defined as heat transfer via the movement of a fluid (like air). So I'm not sure why you'd have the temperature difference that drives convection be (30-10)°C when 10°C is the temperature of the walls. Know what I mean?

yeah i know what you mean i actually used the 220C in the equation but the final answer was coming smaller than the actual answer so i tried the 100C

FAQ: Calculating Heat Transfer from a Person in a Room

1. What is the difference between radiation and convection?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases.

2. How does radiation and convection affect the Earth's climate?

Radiation from the sun warms the Earth's surface, while convection currents in the atmosphere and oceans distribute heat around the globe and help regulate the Earth's temperature.

3. What are some sources of radiation?

The sun is the primary source of radiation, but other sources include radioactive materials, X-rays, and microwaves.

4. Can radiation or convection be harmful?

High levels of radiation exposure can be harmful to living organisms, but low levels of natural background radiation are not harmful. Convection currents can also be dangerous in extreme weather events, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.

5. How do scientists measure radiation and convection?

Radiation is measured using devices such as Geiger counters, while convection can be measured through weather instruments and models that track air and water currents.