Calculating Height from Drop Time: Exploring the Accuracy of the 1/2gt^2 Formula

In summary, the question is about using the shortest time or shortest average time to calculate the height of a drop point from the ground in a physics lab. The chosen formula is 1/2gt^2, and the calculated height for a football is 2.83024m. However, there is a possibility of human error in the experiment, and the actual height may be closer to 5 meters with a longer time of at least one second.
Greiver
This is one of the questions on my college intro. to physics course lab.

use the shortest time(or shortest average time) to calculate the height of the drop point from the ground, Explain the choice of time to calculate the height of the drop

*object dropped was a football.

1/2gt^2

1/2 (9.8m/s^2)(0.76s)^2
=2.83024m

I don't know if I am headed in the right direction with this problem any input would be appreciated, although I have to point out that logically the height is approximately 5 or so meters could this be a miscalculation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the correct formula for an object dropped from rest with no air resistance. You probably didn't measure the time correctly...If the height was 5 meters, the time would have to be at least about a second.

PhanthomJay said:
That's the correct formula for an object dropped from rest with no air resistance. You probably didn't measure the time correctly...If the height was 5 meters, the time would have to be at least about a second.

looking at the average time for three trials with a football, although in doing the experiment i don't recall taking note of how it was dropped and the possibility for human error in this experiment. Thanks for the reply though it is very much appreciated.

FAQ: Calculating Height from Drop Time: Exploring the Accuracy of the 1/2gt^2 Formula

What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity. It is a constant value that is dependent on the mass and distance between two objects.

How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = G(M/R^2), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and R is the distance between the two objects.

What is the value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, this value can vary slightly depending on the location and altitude.

Does acceleration due to gravity apply to all objects?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity applies to all objects regardless of their mass. However, the acceleration experienced by an object may vary depending on its mass and the distance between objects.

What is the relationship between acceleration due to gravity and weight?

Acceleration due to gravity and weight are related because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The greater the acceleration due to gravity, the greater the weight of an object will be.

Back