Calculating Horizontal Forces on Frictionless Surface

In summary, the speaker has a surface with minimal friction and an elastic band to launch a disc from one end of the surface to the other. The disc crashes into a hard wall and rebounds, and the speaker wants to calculate the acceleration and distance traveled before coming to a halt. However, more information is needed, including the energy stored in the band and the nature of the wall, to accurately determine the acceleration and velocity of the disc during and after the collision. The speaker also mentions working out the initial velocity by measuring the time it takes for the disc to travel from one wall to the other, but it is unclear what their overall goal or purpose is in this experiment.
Branny12000
I have a surface that has minimal to no friction and I have used an elastic band to set my disc off from one end of the surface to the other. It crashes into the wall the other side and rebounds. How can I work out the acceleration. Am I right in assuming that at first the disc travels at a constant velocity because of minimal friction and then crashes into the wall and this is the first time it experiences acceleration in the form of deceleration to be brought to a halt. So am I able therefore to simply work out the distance traveled before it comes to a halt and the time taken?

Many thanks in advance guys :D

Physics news on Phys.org
In an ideal situation like this, simple Newton rules and the velocity is constant. You will need more information to decide what happens during and after the collision.

What sort of information would I need to determine how deceleration works to bring it to a halt?

PS Am I able to simple assume constant velocity as the disc approaches the wall, ie distance of the surface/time taken to travel from one end to the other?

Which bit of the experiment are you considering? You have not made it clear. Are the start and final conditions relevant to your question (apart from launch velocity and zero final velocity)?
In the drift phase, there is no acceleration so time = distance / velocity. At the start, you would need to estimate the energy stored in the band and assumed that all goes to KE of the disc. The impact phase is anyone's guess until you specify something about the nature of the wall it hits.

Thank you. Well I intend to work out initial velocity by working out how long it take to get from one wall to the other. However, after impact I know it will deceleration but by how much I'm not sure. The wall is a hard surface.

?? You still don't make it clear which order you are doing things. Have you measured something or are you trying to predict something? Some more background might be helpful (as ever) if you want useful responses. You can't tell what the acceleration was unless you know the distance or the time taken to get to speed. Even them, a rubber band has an odd force / extension characteristic (not like a Hooke's Law spring) so it would only be an estimate. If you actually want to find the launch speed then you could. perhaps, work that out by finding the force from the band over the range of stretched lengths and calculate the stored energy - and hence, the Kinetic Energy of the launched disc.

Related to Calculating Horizontal Forces on Frictionless Surface

1. How do you calculate the horizontal force on a frictionless surface?

To calculate the horizontal force on a frictionless surface, you will need to use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, since the surface is frictionless, there is no force acting against the object's motion, so the acceleration will be constant. Therefore, the horizontal force can be calculated by simply multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration.

2. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical forces?

Horizontal forces act in a left or right direction, while vertical forces act in an up or down direction. Horizontal forces are responsible for the movement of an object in a straight line, while vertical forces are responsible for the object's weight and its ability to stay on the surface.

3. How does the angle of the surface affect the horizontal force?

The angle of the surface does not affect the horizontal force on a frictionless surface. As long as the surface remains frictionless, the horizontal force will remain constant regardless of the angle.

4. Can you have a horizontal force on a surface with friction?

Yes, it is possible to have a horizontal force on a surface with friction. In this case, the friction force will act against the horizontal force, causing the object to slow down or stop depending on the magnitude of the forces.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the horizontal force?

The mass of the object plays a crucial role in determining the horizontal force. The greater the mass of the object, the greater the force required to accelerate it. Therefore, the horizontal force will increase as the mass of the object increases.

Back