Calculating how long it takes for a comet to reach a sun of radius zero

In summary, the comet takes T seconds to reach the sun if R_max is the distance from the sun at which the comet is released from rest.
xdrgnh

Homework Statement

Consider the extreme case that the comet is released from rest at a distance R_max from the sun. In this case L is actually zero. Use the technique described in connection with 4.58 to find how long the comet takes to reach the sun. The radius of the sun for now is zero.

Homework Equations

Equation 4.58 is T=∫dr/(E-U(r))^(1/2)

E should be -GM_sM_c/R_max

and U(r) should be -GM_sM_c/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So I intergrate this and my bound are 0 to R_max. I just want to know if I'm on the right track becasue the integral is very messy. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is T supposed to be the time? If so, equation 4.58 doesn't seem to work out unit-wise.

Yes it is. Well I forgot to mult that integral by a (m/2)^(1/2). But that doesn't change the difficulty of the intergrand.

Without that factor, the units of T are 1/force. Multiplying by mass1/2 won't fix it.

In any case, I don't see why you think the integrand is a mess. It looks like it should succumb to a simple u-substitution.

Darn I made another mistake while typing I'll fix the OP re look at it. I added a square root.

$$ v = \frac{dr}{dt} \Rightarrow dt = dr/v $$ $$v = \sqrt{2K/m} = \sqrt{2[E - U(r)]/m}$$ $$t = \int\,dt = \int v^{-1} dr = \int \left(2\frac{E - U(r)}{m}\right)^{-1/2}\,dr$$

Is that the equation?

Yep.

Any word if my E-U(r) is correct?

xdrgnh said:
Any word if my E-U(r) is correct?

Yeah, the expression $$- G\frac{mM}{R} + G\frac{mM}{r} $$ looks okay to me. So the integrand would become $$\left[2GM \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{R}\right) \right]^{-1/2} $$ Did you have any luck computing it?

Not much luck. I haven't integrated any complicated integral since I took calc II two year ago. But I feel a trig sub might work. But I was mainly concerned with the physics part rather then the math. I doubt a question like this would appear on the exam and I',m only doing it for my own enrichment. But see how the trig goes if I can figure out how it would work. If not I might try a u sub. I know I should simplify it first.

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculating how long it takes for a comet to reach a sun of radius zero

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a comet to reach a sun of radius zero?

To calculate the time it takes for a comet to reach a sun of radius zero, you would need to use the formula t = (r/v) x (1/360), where t is the time in years, r is the distance between the comet and the sun in astronomical units (AU), and v is the velocity of the comet in AU per year.

2. What is the significance of a sun having a radius of zero in this calculation?

A sun with a radius of zero is just a hypothetical concept used for the purpose of this calculation. In reality, all suns have a finite radius and the calculation would need to be adjusted accordingly.

3. How accurate is this calculation in predicting the time it takes for a comet to reach a sun of radius zero?

This calculation provides a rough estimate and should not be considered highly accurate. Other factors such as gravitational influences from other bodies and changes in the comet's trajectory can affect the actual time it takes for a comet to reach a sun.

4. Is there a maximum distance at which this calculation can be applied?

Yes, this calculation assumes that the comet is on a direct path towards the sun. If the distance between the comet and the sun is too large, gravitational forces from other bodies in the solar system will significantly alter the comet's trajectory and make this calculation invalid.

5. Can this calculation be applied to other objects besides comets?

Yes, this calculation can be applied to any object with a known velocity and distance from a hypothetical sun of radius zero. However, again, it should be noted that this is a simplified calculation and may not accurately predict the actual time it takes for an object to reach a real sun.

Back