Calculating Induced Electric field

In summary, the instructor used the closed integral symbol ##\oint_p^p q\vec {E}⋅d\vec{r}=Eq2πr## to find the induced electric field.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
In class we were trying to calculate the induced electric field created by changing the magnetic field stregth.
Imagine there's a circular surface which magnetic field out of the screen.Since we are changing the magnetic field from Faraday's Law there should be a induced current or charge flow simply.To create this motion we need electric field.So he drew another circle inside the outer surface with radius r Here is the pic
Adsız.png

Then he said let's suppose there's a charge on the point P.And he explained the Electric Field and direction etc.And He said let's suppose It rotates once the circle

Now then He did something like this;

##W=qε=\int {\vec{F}⋅d\vec{r}}##
##W=qε=Eq2πr##
##ε=E2πr## Then he used Faraday's Law and we found the E field.
I am stucked cause
##W=qε=\int {\vec{F}⋅d\vec{r}}## should be zero.Cause it comes to same point.
##W=\int_p^p {\vec{F}⋅d\vec{r}}=0##
He never used ##\oint##
What am I missing ?
If were used closed integral like ##\oint_p^p q\vec {E}⋅d\vec{r}=Eq2πr## ?

I think He should use closed integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The induced electric field from a changing magnetic field is not a conservative field. Electrostatic fields (conservative fields) satisfy ## \nabla \times E=0 ## so that ## \oint E \cdot ds=0 ## by Stokes law. This is not the case for the induced ## E ## field because ## \nabla \times E=-\frac{dB}{dt} ## so that by Stokes law ## \oint E \cdot ds=-\frac{d \Phi_m}{dt} ##. And yes, your instructor should use ## \oint ## for this integral.

Likes Arman777
Charles Link said:
The induced electric field from a changing magnetic field is not a conservative field. Electrostatic fields (conservative fields) satisfy ## \nabla \times E=0 ## so that ## \oint E \cdot ds=0 ## by Stokes law. This is not the case for the induced ## E ## field because ## \nabla \times E=-\frac{dB}{dt} ## so that by Stokes law ## \oint E \cdot ds=-\frac{d \Phi_m}{dt} ##. And yes, your instructor should use ## \oint ## for this integral.
I understand , thanks a lot :)

Likes Charles Link
Well, of course in Stokes's theorem the line integral is around a closed path. Otherwise it's wrong. Why one should need an extra symbol, I however don't know ;-).

vanhees71 said:
Why one should need an extra symbol, I however don't know ;-).

Its more nice,I like it :p

Related to Calculating Induced Electric field

1. What is an induced electric field?

An induced electric field is a type of electric field that is created in a medium, such as a conductor, in response to a changing magnetic field. It is produced due to the movement of charges within the medium, and its direction is perpendicular to the direction of the changing magnetic field.

2. How is the induced electric field calculated?

The induced electric field can be calculated using Faraday's Law, which states that the induced electric field is equal to the negative of the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a loop of wire. This can be represented mathematically as E = -dΦ/dt, where E is the induced electric field, Φ is the magnetic flux, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced electric field?

The strength of the induced electric field depends on several factors, including the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the wire, the area of the loop, and the material properties of the medium. Additionally, the strength of the induced electric field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field inducing it.

4. How does the direction of the induced electric field relate to the changing magnetic field?

The direction of the induced electric field is perpendicular to the direction of the changing magnetic field. This can be understood using the right-hand rule, where the thumb represents the direction of the induced electric field, and the fingers represent the direction of the changing magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating induced electric fields?

Calculating induced electric fields has many practical applications, such as in the design of motors and generators, power transmission and distribution systems, and electromagnetic sensors. It is also essential in understanding and mitigating the effects of electromagnetic interference in electronic devices.