Calculating Induced EMF and Current in a Moving Bar with Magnetic Field B = 1 T

In summary, the problem involves a 1 m bar moving in the +x direction at 10 m/s with a magnetic field of 1 T in the -z direction. The motional EMF is calculated using the equation emf = vBL. To find the induced current in the circuit with a light bulb of 10 ohms resistance, the equation I = V/R is used, where V is the induced EMF and R is the resistance of the bulb.
manda2110

Homework Statement

A bar of 1 m length aligned in y direction moves in +x direction at 10 m/s, in space where B = 1 T pointing in the -z direction. Calculate the motional EMF.
If the bar above, is a part of a circuit with a light bulb of 10 ohms resistance, what would be the induced current?

Homework Equations

emf= vBL
I don't know what to use to find the induced current

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the emf. I found that to be 10 V. Am i correct on that? I am just confused on how to find the induced current

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi manda2110, welcome to PF.

The current in the circuit is

I = V/R, where V is the induced emf.

R is given in ur problem (the resistance of the bulb, 10 ohms)
u know V,
wheres the problem in finding I?

Related to Calculating Induced EMF and Current in a Moving Bar with Magnetic Field B = 1 T

What is induced current?

Induced current is an electric current that is produced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How is induced current different from regular current?

Induced current is different from regular current because it is produced by a changing magnetic field and does not require a direct connection to a power source.

What is the principle behind induced current?

The principle behind induced current is electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor.

How is induced current used in everyday life?

Induced current is used in many everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in technology like wireless charging and magnetic levitation.

What factors affect the strength of induced current?

The strength of induced current is affected by the strength and rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the resistance of the conductor.