Calculating Initial Momentum and Speed of Colliding Railroad Cars

• Thread starter domyy
  • Start date
In summary, a rifle with a mass of 2.2kg fires a bullet with a mass of 5g that has a velocity of 600m/s. The recoil velocity of the rifle is 1.36 m/s.
domyy

Homework Statement

A railroad car of mass 12,000 kg collides and couples with a second car of mass 18,000 kg that is initially at rest. After the collision, both move at a speed of 4.8 m/s.

What is the initial momentum and initial speed of the first car?

Homework Equations

The formulas that I´ve used are:

Pi = pf = mv
vi = pf/m

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I´d like someone to confirm my answers:

For Pi (initial momentum) I did:

Pi = pf = mv = (12,000kg + 18,000kg)(4.8m/s) = 144,000kg.m/s

For Vi (initial speed) = Pf/m = 144,000/12,000 = 12m/s.

Are my answers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
They appear to be correct. Nice job.

Thankss! =D

I have another question. Could you confirm the other as well? Please??

1. Homework Statement

A rifle with a mass 2.2kg fires a bullet with a mass of 5g. The bullet moves with a velocity of 600m/s.

1) What is the momentum of the bullet after it´s fired?
2) What is the recoil velocity of the rifle assuming that no external forces act on the rifle?2. Homework Equations

P = mv

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1) P = 0.005kg x 600m/s = 3kg. m/s.

For question 2) I wrote 0.

Are my answers correct?

1) Should be 30 kgm/s, not sure if you just had a typo.
2) 0 is incorrect. You have the 30 kgm/s of momentum from the bullet, right? Therefore, there must be an equal and opposite momentum acting on the rifle.

I wish it were at typo. Actually, the calculation is correct. Am I using the wrong information?

Now for question number 2, you mean p = -p, so the answer would be -30?

I just would like to say that I am truly appreciating your help! :)

Whoops, my bad on number 1. MY typo on the calculator xD. As for 2), yes, the momentum of the rifle would be -3, but you're looking for the velocity.

help me with this 1 please
A teddy bear of mass 400 grams is hung from the end of a spring. The spring measures 51.0cm long in the rest position; when the teddy bear is attached to the end of the spring, the spring extends to 72.0cm. Calculate the elastic potential energy stored in the spring when extended to 72.0cm.

hahaha no problem :) You are still being EXTREMELY helpful.

The question: A rifle with a mass 2.2kg fires a bullet with a mass of 5g. The bullet moves with a velocity of 600m/s.

I am looking for recoil velocity,

would that be 2.2 divided by 600m/s ?

I am sorry but I am not sure about I should find the recoil velocity.

No, your momentum is -3, right? P=mv. Mass of the rifle is 2.2kg. What is your velocity?

As for Tom, you should probably post your problem in your own thread. You also need to post an attempt at a solution first.

v = p/m
v = -3kg.m/s divided by 2.2kg = -1.36 m/s.

So to find recoil velocity I should just use v=p/m. That´s how I find it, right?

Last edited:
Divide, not multiply ;)

Edit: Yes, that's correct :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much (again!) xD

Last edited:
You did most of the work yourself ;), nice work. Now I'm off to bed :zzz:

have a good night! :)

Related to Calculating Initial Momentum and Speed of Colliding Railroad Cars

1. Who is qualified to confirm scientific information?

Qualified individuals who can confirm scientific information include experts in the specific field of study, peer reviewers, and reputable institutions or organizations.

2. How can I verify the accuracy of scientific findings?

The best way to verify the accuracy of scientific findings is to review the methods and data used in the study and compare it to other studies on the same topic. It is also important to consider the credibility of the source and any potential biases.

3. Can I trust information from a single source or study?

No, it is important to consider information from multiple sources and studies to ensure accuracy and avoid potential biases. This is why peer review and replication of studies are important in the scientific community.

4. Are there any red flags to watch out for when determining the validity of scientific information?

Yes, some red flags to watch out for include lack of peer review, conflicts of interest, and sensationalized claims without sufficient evidence to support them.

5. How can I find reputable sources for scientific information?

Reputable sources for scientific information include peer-reviewed journals, government agencies, and trusted organizations or institutions. It is important to also consider the expertise and credentials of the authors or researchers.