Calculating Initial Velocity & Angle of Football Kicked on Horizontal Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a football being kicked on a horizontal plane and the goal is to find the initial velocity and angle. The solution involves using the horizontal and vertical velocity equations and solving for v and alpha.
brunch43
ok, so i just had my exam 10 minutes ago and i can't think of anything else except this seemly easy problem that i couldn't get.

a football is kicked on the horizontal plane (ie. y_0 = 0 ) at some angle alpha, it covers a horizontal displacement of 100 ft 2.5 seconds later, find the initial velocity and the angle. i feel so f-ing stupid, but i will greatly appreciate any help given

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the horizontal velocity. Since the vertical velocity is independent, try figuring out high the football can go if it's to land in 2.5 seconds

Assume the initial speed is v. The initial horizontal speed is [itex]v cos(\alpha)[/itex], the initial vertical speed is [itex]v sin(\alpha)[/itex]. The (constant) vertical acceleration is -g and the there is 0 horizontal velocity so the horizontal speed is the constant [itex]vcos(\alpha)[/itex] and the vertical speed is [itex]-gt+ vsin(\alpha)[/itex]. Integrating those, the horizontal position is [itex]vcos(\alpha)t[/itex] and the vertical position is [itex]-(g/2)t^2+ vsin(\alpha)t[/itex]. Knowing that the horizontal distance covered in 2.5 sec. is 100 feet, gives [itex]2.5v cos(\alpha)= 100[/itex], You also know that the ball went up and back down to 0 in that time: the vertical equation gives [itex]-(g/2)(2.5)^2+ 2.5 vsin(\alpha)= 0[/itex]. That gives you two equations to solve for v and [itex]\alpha[/itex]

FAQ: Calculating Initial Velocity & Angle of Football Kicked on Horizontal Plane

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a football kicked on a horizontal plane?

In order to calculate the initial velocity of a football kicked on a horizontal plane, you will need to know the distance the ball traveled, the time it took to travel that distance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using the formula velocity = distance/time, you can plug in the known values to solve for the initial velocity. Keep in mind that the distance and time should both be in the same units (e.g. meters and seconds).

2. What is the formula for calculating the angle of a football kicked on a horizontal plane?

The formula for calculating the angle of a football kicked on a horizontal plane is angle = arctan((2*velocity^2*sin(theta)*cos(theta))/g), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and theta is the angle of the kick. This formula takes into account the initial velocity and the angle at which the ball was kicked.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth. This means that for every second an object falls, it will increase in velocity by 9.8 meters per second.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of initial velocity and angle of a kicked football?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the calculation of the initial velocity and angle of a kicked football. As the ball travels through the air, it will experience air resistance which will slow it down. This means that the actual initial velocity and angle may be different from the calculated values. To account for air resistance, scientists often use advanced mathematical models and techniques.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the calculations?

Aside from air resistance, there are several other factors that may affect the calculations of initial velocity and angle of a kicked football. These include the surface the ball is kicked on, the temperature and humidity of the air, and any external forces acting on the ball (e.g. wind). These factors may not always be accurately accounted for in calculations, so it is important to consider them when analyzing the results.

Back