Calculating initial velocity in elastics collision

In summary, the conversation discusses an inelastic collision between a sports car and an SUV. The relevant givens and equations are identified, and the attempt at a solution involves using the equation for conservation of kinetic energy. However, it is pointed out that this equation is only valid for an elastic collision, which is not the case in this situation. Therefore, the calculated speed of the sports car at impact may be incorrect.
blixel
NOTE: The subject should say Inelastic Collision

1. Homework Statement

A 980kg sports car collides into the rear end of a 2300kg SUV stopped at a red light. The bumpers lock, the breaks are locked, and the two cards skid forward 2.6m before stopping. The police officer, estimating the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and road to be 0.80, calculates the speed of the sports car at impact. What was that speed?

I believe the relevant givens to be as follows:

Givens
mA=980kg
mB=2300kg
vB=0
ΔX=2.6m
μk=0.80

Homework Equations

I believe the relevant equations to be as follows:

Equations
f=μFN
K=½mv2
½mAvA2+½mBvB2=½mAv'A2+½mBv'B2

The Attempt at a Solution

Before the cars collide, the SUV isn’t moving so all the kinetic energy is in the sports car. The equation simplifies to:
mAvA2=mAv'A2+mAv'A2

I know that v'A=v'B because the cars stick to each other, so I can simplify the equation even further:
mAvA2=v'2(mA+mB)

Now to find v'2, I'm going to need force of friction.
FN=(980kg+2300kg)(9.8m/s2)=32144N
fFR=(0.80)(32144N)=25715.2N

Now I will use F=ma to find the acceleration of the two masses as they slide the 2.6m.
a=(25715.2N)/(980kg+2300kg)=7.84m/s2

Since I know the acceleration, I should now be able to calculate v' using a kinematic equation. At the moment of impact, the initial velocity would be v0=0 since the SUV is not moving.
v2-v02=2aΔX
v=sqrt(2aΔX)=sqrt[2(7.84m/s2)(2.6m)]=v'

Now I should be able to find vA using vA=sqrt([v'2(mA+mB)]/(mA))

But when I run that calculation, I get vA≈11.68 m/s. But I should be getting 21 m/s according to the book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed the collision is elastic (KE is conserved). Is that an appropriate assumption for this problem?

Your expression for conservation of kinetic energy is only valid for an elastic collision. Not here ('bumpers lock')

FAQ: Calculating initial velocity in elastics collision

1. How do you calculate initial velocity in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the initial velocity can be calculated by using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f. This equation states that the total momentum before the collision equals the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, by rearranging the equation, we can solve for the initial velocity of one of the objects.

2. What information do I need to know to calculate initial velocity in an elastic collision?

To calculate initial velocity in an elastic collision, you need to know the masses of the objects involved, their velocities before and after the collision, and the direction of their velocities. This information can be obtained through experimentation or given in a problem.

3. Can initial velocity be negative in an elastic collision?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative in an elastic collision. Negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction to the reference point. This can happen if the object was moving in the opposite direction before the collision or if the direction of its velocity changed during the collision.

4. Is initial velocity the same for both objects in an elastic collision?

No, the initial velocity is not necessarily the same for both objects in an elastic collision. The conservation of momentum equation takes into account the masses and velocities of both objects, so their initial velocities can be different depending on these factors.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the calculation of initial velocity in an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution, represented by the symbol e, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is used to calculate the ratio of the final velocity to the initial velocity of an object after a collision. Therefore, the coefficient of restitution does not directly affect the calculation of initial velocity, but it can be used to determine the final velocity of an object, which can then be used in the conservation of momentum equation to calculate initial velocity.

Back