Calculating Instantaneous Velocity in Calculus

In summary, the ball is thrown upward at a velocity of 49 ft/s and its height in feet is given by y=49t-10t^2.
silverbell

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown into the air a velocity of 49 ft/s. Its height in feet after t seconds is given by y=49t-10t^2.

A. Find the average velocity for the time period beginning when t=3 and lasting
0.01 s:
0.005 s:

B. Estimate the instantaneous velocity when t=3.

Homework Equations

Integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure if I'm approaching this problem at the right angle...

A) 0.01s

1/ [(3.01) -3] ∫ from 3 to 3.01 49t-10t^2 dx

[1/0.01] ∫ from 3 to 3.01 49t-10t^2 dx

[1/0.01] ∫ from 3 to 3.01 (49t^2)/2 - (10t^3)/3 <------ integrated

[1/0.01] [(49(3.01)^2)/2 - (10(3.01)^3)/3] - [1/0.01] [ 49(3)^2)/2 - (10(3)^3)/3

substitution

Same steps for 0.005s

B) I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

Please help me understand the problem. Thank you very much. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
silverbell said:
I'm not exactly sure if I'm approaching this problem at the right angle...
No, you don't want to take an integral. You're given a position function, and integrating it doesn't give you the velocity function. What you want to do is to use the average rate of change formula (from x = a to x = b):
[tex]\frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b - a}[/tex]
So, given the position function s(t) = -10t2 + 49t, evaluate
[tex]\frac{s(3.01) - s(3)}{3.01 - 3}[/tex]

silverbell said:
B) I'm not sure how to approach this problem.
Do you know the formula for finding a derivative at a point (I'm talking about the one with the limit)?

Do you know the formula for finding a derivative at a point (I'm talking about the one with the limit)?

Actually, I don't know the formula for finding a derivative at a point.

silverbell said:
Actually, I don't know the formula for finding a derivative at a point.
Sure you do:
[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h}[/tex]

eumyang said:
Sure you do:
[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h}[/tex]

Thanks. :D

FAQ: Calculating Instantaneous Velocity in Calculus

1. What is Calculus Average Velocity?

Calculus Average Velocity is a mathematical concept that measures the average rate of change of an object over a specific time interval. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

2. How is Calculus Average Velocity calculated?

Calculus Average Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement of an object by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / (final time - initial time).

3. What is the difference between Calculus Average Velocity and Instantaneous Velocity?

The main difference between Calculus Average Velocity and Instantaneous Velocity is that average velocity measures the overall change in an object's motion over a specific time interval, while instantaneous velocity measures the velocity at a specific moment in time.

4. What are some real-life applications of Calculus Average Velocity?

Calculus Average Velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as analyzing the speed of vehicles, determining the growth rate of populations, and calculating the velocity of moving objects in sports events.

5. How does Calculus Average Velocity relate to other calculus concepts?

Calculus Average Velocity is closely related to other calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals. It is used to find the slope of a curve, which is necessary for calculating derivatives, and it can also be used to find the area under a curve, which is necessary for calculating integrals.